Top 10 Posters

How do I figure out how much fabric I need to make a typical baby quilt? Help, please.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045
Christy G. Posted: Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:06 PM

Hi everyone:

I am a new grandma in the making. I want to make a simple baby quilt. I am not sure how to figure out how much fabric I need for it. I found the feature or focal fabric that will be a square and then I was thinking of doing a 4 patch block of the same size, but I never worked with out a pattern before. Can anyone help me? Also, I don't know what the size is of a typical baby quilt.

Thank you.

ChristyG

Anchorage, AK

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Welcome Christy - I cannot even come close to helping you on this. I am extraordinarily mathematically challenged. I use all the tools I can find to do calculations. I'm sure if you googled it, you could find the typical crib size or smaller. I just wanted to welcome you to the club. You will definitely get the answer here. Someone will come to your rescue.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045
Christy G. replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:09 PM

Thank you, Melissa. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:14 PM

Christy,  your baby quilt can be whatever size you want.  There is a standard size that you can find, I've never followed it. . If I have a block I like, I make enough to get to the size I want.  A four patch alternated with a block of the same size is a great beginner quilt.    

So, what size is the block you are starting with, the focus fabric?.   Do you need help figuring out how to make the four patch work?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:15 PM

Baby Quilt

36" x 54"

Afghan/Lap Size

54" x 72"

Twin Quilt

54" x 90"

Double Quilt

72" x 90"

Queen Quilt

90" x 108"

King Quilt

108" x 108"

I don't  use these as hard and fast rule, more a target to aim at and most likely won't hit.   You can see that if you have 6 inch blocks, you will need 6x8 blocks for a total of 48 blocks.   But if you have 12 inch blocks, three will fit nicely across, but you will either be too short or too tall for the size stated.  This doesn't leave any room  for sashes or borders or binding.   So let us know what size blocks you want to start with and we'll go from there.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045
Christy G. replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 12:01 AM

Hi Gini:

I found this adorable owl fabric I thought could be the square. I was thinking 3 inch squares but maybe that is too small. Maybe I should make a 6 in square so

it can feature more of the owl fabric. Then of course the alternating 4 patch would need to be 6 inches. So that would be 6 squares across if I make it the 36 inches you

mentioning. So that seems like 3 of 4 yards altogether. Does that sound right. I don't think I bought more than 3 yards and no sashing fabric because I am winging it..

Thank you for helping me.

ChristyG

Grandma in the making

Anchorage AK

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 8:44 AM

Christy G.:

Maybe I should make a 6 in square so

it can feature more of the owl fabric

Christy, that's what I did for my DGGS's quilt.  I made 6" squares of cute monkey fabric and 6" alternate squares.  Here it is during construction.  I bordered it with a narrow strip of blue and a wider strip of green.  I backed it with flannel in those colors.  Couldn't find a pic of it done.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:14 AM

One yard of fabric will give you between 28 to 35 - 6 inch squares depending on whether you wash it first and how long it is from selvidge to selvidge.    If you are piecing half df the squares 3 yards should work just fine.  3 inch blocks are pretty small for a first time quilt, and as you can see, Marie's 6 inch blocks are pretty cute. 

I rarely get the border fabric before I finish the quilt center.   Be sure and send us pictures.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:22 AM

Congratulations on the new grand baby.  I'm visiting our daughter and playing with our newest one right now.   She stayed happy with me for over an hour before she made her kabuki mask face and went back to mama.

No teeth yet, of course, but you get the idea.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:23 AM

Darn, they wouldn't post, it's a pretty terrible look.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use