Need your thoughts about backing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 7 verified answers | 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
240 Posts
Points 3,925
SpringerMom posted on Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:46 AM

Hi All,

I've pieced a baby quilt top, using 1930's reproductions, dots, plaid, etc. Because of my desire for softness and also that "old fashioned" look, I want to back it with flannel and think I'd even prefer to hand-tie it rather than overall quilt it. That said, my local quilt shop gals have said I won't need to use batting if I'm backing with flannel. They are wonderful quilters and I respect their knowledge. But, as I have thought more about it, if I do not use batting won't I be able to see the outline of the seams and feel them through the flannel backing? Flannel is not as thick as batting... can it possibly hide all of that? Is there a reason I can't use batting as well? Thanks for any help you can offer!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200
Answered (Verified) Sherry replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:21 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

I have done what you are doing. I used crib batting which is thinner, but still allows you to see the quilting. Worked great and my niece (and grand nephew) love the quilt. 

• | Post Points: 25
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,408 Posts
Points 40,125
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:33 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

First welcome QCA.  We have many wonderful friendly quilters on this site.  Can't wait to see all your creative endeavors.  

This quilt is yours to finish as you wish.  So if you want a light batting, go for it.  If you want to tie it, go for it.  Just because others do it one way doesn't mean that you can't do it another.  There are not quilt police.  IMHO I would use a light batting and the flannel.  A cuddly quilt is to die for.  Have fun.  And please share your quilt with a photo so we can all ooh and aah.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540
Verified by SpringerMom

Kathy - I agree with Mimi. I made a baby quilt for my niece and I put flannel on the back. I used a thin batting and it made it even more cuddlier. Do what feels good to you.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,297 Posts
Points 414,019
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:23 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

Hi SMom,  you can make your quilt however you want.  Both ways will be wonderful.  I like minke and flannel without batting for the littler kids to drag around, they aren't as warm as the ones with flannel.  Ask yourself what the intended use is. It is for a bed, you might want the batting to make it warmer. If it for a little one's " blankie",  it probably doesn't need flannel

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
994 Posts
Points 15,090
Verified by SpringerMom

I would use something very thin for the batting. Even if it was just a piece of plain flannel for the middle, this would keep the two layers from touching (does that make sense). You don't want it to be too bulky or too heavy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Answered (Verified) Flo replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:38 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

I use warm & natural batting on all my quilts regardless of what I use for backing.  But if you were to use minkie, which is popular where I live, I would go for a thin batting.  I am a hand quilter so I have never used minkie.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,179 Posts
Points 15,780
Verified by SpringerMom

I make lots of flannel quilts and cotton/flannel and use the flannel in center as batting.  It really depends on how warm you want it .     Susan

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200
Answered (Verified) Sherry replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:21 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

I have done what you are doing. I used crib batting which is thinner, but still allows you to see the quilting. Worked great and my niece (and grand nephew) love the quilt. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,408 Posts
Points 40,125
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:33 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

First welcome QCA.  We have many wonderful friendly quilters on this site.  Can't wait to see all your creative endeavors.  

This quilt is yours to finish as you wish.  So if you want a light batting, go for it.  If you want to tie it, go for it.  Just because others do it one way doesn't mean that you can't do it another.  There are not quilt police.  IMHO I would use a light batting and the flannel.  A cuddly quilt is to die for.  Have fun.  And please share your quilt with a photo so we can all ooh and aah.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540
Verified by SpringerMom

Kathy - I agree with Mimi. I made a baby quilt for my niece and I put flannel on the back. I used a thin batting and it made it even more cuddlier. Do what feels good to you.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,297 Posts
Points 414,019
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:23 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

Hi SMom,  you can make your quilt however you want.  Both ways will be wonderful.  I like minke and flannel without batting for the littler kids to drag around, they aren't as warm as the ones with flannel.  Ask yourself what the intended use is. It is for a bed, you might want the batting to make it warmer. If it for a little one's " blankie",  it probably doesn't need flannel

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
994 Posts
Points 15,090
Verified by SpringerMom

I would use something very thin for the batting. Even if it was just a piece of plain flannel for the middle, this would keep the two layers from touching (does that make sense). You don't want it to be too bulky or too heavy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Answered (Verified) Flo replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:38 PM
Verified by SpringerMom

I use warm & natural batting on all my quilts regardless of what I use for backing.  But if you were to use minkie, which is popular where I live, I would go for a thin batting.  I am a hand quilter so I have never used minkie.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,179 Posts
Points 15,780
Verified by SpringerMom

I make lots of flannel quilts and cotton/flannel and use the flannel in center as batting.  It really depends on how warm you want it .     Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,582 Posts
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:21 PM

As our winters are cold here in the high dessert of Northern Nevada, I have used flannel for both sides and cotton batting, too.  Although mine are quilted, not tied, they are still very cuddly.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,704 Posts
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 12:06 AM

Kathy

I would use a lightweight cotton batting even though both sides are flannel.   If you decide to tie the quilt remember to cut your tie ends really short so that the baby can't get them to far back in their mouth.  They can be a choking hazard.  They can also get wrapped around little toes and fingers.  I know that we don't tend to think about those things but just wanted to give you a heads up.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
382 Posts
Points 6,560

Nana I too a thinking about tie a baby quilt I have made.  I have hesitated because of hazards that may come up.  What would you recommend I use to tie?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,297 Posts
Points 414,019
gini replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 8:59 AM

I've never had any complaints about the tied quilt I give to babies. I like to use yarn and perle cotton.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,704 Posts
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:06 PM

Phyllis

I usually use perle cotton and just cut the tails a little shorter than I would on a regular bed quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use