rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,096
Points 24,680
Agnes replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 2:03 PM

Check this out.

http://www.littlemissshabby.com/2013/09/supersized-star-of-bethlehem-quilt-block/

You have been swooning over the old familiar Star of Bethlehem block with a slight variation of color placement.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,869
gini replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 2:34 PM

Good sleuthing, Agnes.

And you have to admire some one that repackages an old pattern and makes money on it.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,398
Points 45,125

I found a refrence online that called it Dutch Rose, In Jinney Beyer's The Quilters Album of Patchwork Patterns there is a pattern  called Dutch Rose that is similar, looks like the variations are a result of the fabric choices.  So I doubt if there would be any copyright issues. It is a pretty block but I do wonder how these things take off like they do. What goes around, comes around, LOL. A challenge after the first of the year sounds like fun.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,398
Points 45,125

Agnes:
Agnes, I just followed your link. You qualify as one of the QCA detectives! Little Miss Shabby gives a nice little history for this block. Her quilt is very pretty. I never made any blocks larger than 12" so this really looks like fun. In one of the articles I read they said each block takes about 2 hours but I'm guessing that if you are organized and chain piece you could do it quicker. Thanks for finding this for us.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,490
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:32 PM

Amazing, Agnes!  I found that page this morning and printed out several of her patterns.  I like how by just changing up the center block a little you can change the whole feel of the bigger block.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 7:01 PM

Great job Agnes,  I knew that block looked familiar

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 755
Valerie replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 7:59 PM

Hi ,

The block is 24".

Unfortunately the pattern is copyrighted. But you can either join the class. Personally i enjoyed the class and you also get 4 different patterns with the class as well. It is free to sign up for the website and currently the cost of the class is $40.99.But the classes periodically are on sale. I usually wait for this to happen before i buy a class.

www.craftsy.com

Or you can purchase  just this pattern

http://www.camilleroskelley.typepad.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 9:06 PM

Hi Valerie, the Craftsy classes were on sale today but I opted to sign up for a different one instead of the class utilizing pre-cuts that covers the swoon block.  I don't think I'd want to make my blocks as large as 24 inches.  Maybe not even 18 inches, but I'm not sure yet.  Anyway, thanks to Agnes and others, we've found that there are directions readily available for this old-new block.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 2:05 AM

And anyone wanting to do the block that Agnes posted the as a 24" block needs to increase the squares to 3 1/2" and the flying geese units to 6 1/2".   It is a beautiful block and has been around for many years. It is one that I have always planned on making someday. These blocks turn out wonderfully at 24".   And you only need a 3 x 4 layout to have a really nice size quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I just checked out the block from littlemissshabby and thought that if you made it out of Christmas colors and just added a small border or two - it would make a darling table center and it would'  be a small something to make just to see how I liked making the pattern.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,034
Points 169,708
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:28 AM

Does anyone get Amy's Stitchery Ditchery Dock newsletter, if so, the swoon quilt is second to last picture on her mailing today.  Check it out.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:40 AM

Marie, I just visited her web site and Facebook page to see if I could find a link to the newsletter, but nope.  Does she provide a web link within the newsletter that you could share here?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:46 AM

Nana:
These blocks turn out wonderfully at 24".   And you only need a 3 x 4 layout to have a really nice size quilt.

It sounds like there may be enough interest to design a challenge around this after the New Year.  Should we start kicking around some ideas for how we want to set up the challenge?  

For example - would people like to see specifications concerning size, color schemes, themes, etc. or should we keep it wide open to interpretation?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 197
Points 2,540

I am interested in a quilt challenge using this block.  I think size specifications should be open - that way each person can use the size they need for the size of quilt they want to make (crib to king).  However, I think a color scheme or theme would add to the challenge since the block looks relatively easy to piece.

Thanks

Barbara

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:27 AM

MNnancy:

Marie, I just visited her web site and Facebook page to see if I could find a link to the newsletter, but nope.  Does she provide a web link within the newsletter that you could share here?

Nancy, the same post as the newsletter is on her website here:  http://www.stitcherydickorydock.com/

You can subscribe for emails of her posts in the column on the right on the website.

BTW, in the same picture with the swoon blocks, look to the right and see a cool graphic wall-quilt of a sewing-machine.  Lots of eye-candy here!!!

Winthrop, WA

Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use