Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,212
Points 24,505
Elizabeth replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:30 PM

The pattern is on the thimble blossoms website. It is someone's pattern.  My feeling is if you want to make it you should respect the pattern maker and buy the pattern

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:39 PM

Actually there are several versions of this Elizabeth - some with more cutting and pieces than others. I just thought if the instructor on Craftsy came up with her own version and wasn't concerned about copyright, I might like to try hers.  I think I can pull together the features I want and sketch it up on EQ like Judy did.  The one online group's challenge I saw did require everyone to use the same commercial pattern (which they openly shared at least 15 times within their group which greatly surprised me), but I think I'd like to see quilters in our challenge have the freedom to use the size and cutting/piecing directions of their own choosing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:44 PM

Donna B:
Frankly, I am very surprised it has taken two years for anyone to bring it up here on QCA!  Thank you for doing so!!! (At least I had never noticed it before.)

Same here Donna.  This was a sew along back in 2011 and I believe there was also a block swap. The quilt pattern using these blocks is called "Swoon". I think that's where the name came from.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:47 PM

MNnancy:

Donna B:
Frankly, I am very surprised it has taken two years for anyone to bring it up here on QCA!

Donna, so you've heard of these?  

Nancy, No, I hadn't heard of it before.  I just noticed her blog-post was dated 2011...2 years ago.  I was just surprised there hadn't been any conversation about them on QCA before...or at least no one had mentioned them before that I had noticed.

I also would be interested.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,125
Pat A replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:01 PM

I think this is an old quilt pattern.  I do remember seeing an antique quilt in one of the quilt magazines using this pattern.  I also found it in Biblical Blocks by Rosemary Makhan called Star of the Magi.  Of course, it was made the "old fashioned" way with diamonds and Y seam construction.   The simplified Swoon version would be much easier and faster. 

I would be interested in doing it after the 1st of the year. 

Pat A. in KY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,754
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:03 PM

This is a variation on an old quilt pattern, can those be copyrighted?  It's a carpenter's wheel with an interesting arrangment of HSTs, and another star in the center.   it shouldn't need a pattern to make it.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:10 PM

gini:
it shouldn't need a pattern to make it.

You're right.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Love that block. I might be interested in doing this. I don't have EQ7 or any other EQ.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Looks like it would make a fun challenge for next year! Just finishing MQ9 - then have 2 queen quilts to make for son and daughter - but after those I would like to make a swoon quilt or throw - possibly in 30's prints. It's a happy pattern.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

That's what it is Linda. A very happy happy pattern. Must be why we all like it so much.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Melissa - I just looked up the pattern tonight and fell in love with  it....just makes you feel good!!!  

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:14 PM

gini:

This is a variation on an old quilt pattern, can those be copyrighted?  It's a carpenter's wheel with an interesting arrangment of HSTs, and another star in the center.   it shouldn't need a pattern to make it.

My understanding is that quilt patterns of long standing are referred to as "public domain." What people can copyright until the cows come home is their own written instructions or interpretation of how to construct it. I think the copyright phrase has gone to many quilter's heads. This is my opinion. Others may strongly disagree.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,754
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:31 PM

That was what I was trying to say Agnes, public domain,  the phrase wasn't readily accessible.   many phrases aren't readily available to me any more.  I know they are up there, floating around.  Sometimes they tease me and I can almost remember them.   Thanks.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,578
Points 47,550
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 10:24 AM

That's a very pretty block.  I'd be interested in doing this, it would give me some flying geese practice!

Southwest of San Antonio

Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use