Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
darcyjamie Posted: Fri, Oct 25 2013 6:01 PM

Hello,

I am very new to quilting and need a new machine. I have the opportunity to buy a Janome Memory Craft 5700 with accessories for $350, but it is listed as an embroidery machine and I want to make sure that it is also good for quilting. I see a lot of people who recommend the Janome brand for a quilting sewing machine and this seems like a good price, but don't want to buy the wrong machine. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Darcy 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:33 PM

Hi Darcy, I looked the machine up and it has all the features I would want for piecing.  It doesn't have a very large throat space, so the actual quilting would be harder.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Hi Gini,

Thanks so much for the advice! Shows how new I am to this, didn't even think of that. How big of a throat space should I need to be able to do a king sized quilt? I see that a new Janome 8077 is about the same price, it looks like the throat space is bigger than the 5700 looking at photos, but can't find where either list the actual throat size. Even though the used 5700 has a lot more things it can do, would you suggest going with the 8077 for quilting?

Thanks again for your reply!

Darcy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:36 PM

Darcy, I'm not familiar with janome and I don't have my machine here to measure the throat space.   My sapphire has 10 inches.  My designer one has a little less.  Anything under 8 1/2 inches would be hard to quilt with.  There are janomes that have larger throat spaces,  you need to research which will work for you.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,749
Points 38,840
ls2116 replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:11 AM

Darcy I have the 6600 it accomodates large king size because of throat space which is important to me for quilting.  Have fun shopping around for your new machine.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 709
Points 13,830

Darcy, When I Googled "Janome 5700" I found a couple comments from someone who owns one. You may be interested in this: http://content.janome.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=429

There are some questions and answers in Amazon about the Janome 8077. One of the answers is that it has a 6.5 inch throat space.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
darcyjamie replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone! I did go ahead and order a new Janome 8077. It may not have as big of a throat space as I would like, but looks bigger than the 5700 and the others mentioned are a bit out of my price range right now. Perhaps down the road.... I will let you know how the 8077 handles some larger pieces once I get there. Starting small, so may be while.

Thanks again!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 709
Points 13,830

Darcy, good luck with your new machine!  Sorry that the link doesn't work. It did before I posted the previous note. Anyway, it said that the parts for it are no longer available since it's an older model. The writer didn't recommend the machine. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Oh thanks for that, makes me feel better about not buying the 5700!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use