Irons

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 1,010
Patty Schleicher posted on Thu, Oct 24 2013 11:13 PM

With all the new irons out there I would like to know which ones everybody likes or dislikes. I am in need of a new iron for quilting and not sure what I should buy. Suggestions??

Thanks

Patty Schleicher/MN

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 12:34 AM

Oh, My, You  will get many answers to this question as everyone has,  or tried, them all . Right now I have a Rowenta effective that is 11/2 years old and which I am really happy with . It gets very hot and gives out lots of steam, has  automatic shut off  and was reasonably priced.     Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280
Sherry replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 8:52 AM

I found a "new" Sunbeam iron from the 60's that was still in it's box. Love it! Stays on, HOT and has some weight to it. Bought a Rowenta that I would give away. Not very hot, spits and like most new irons isn't very heavy. I like the heavier weight for getting out wrinkles. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

I love my $20 iron. It has an auto shut off which is good because I always forget to turn it off. I'm old school and just can't see paying over $100 for an iron. Even if my old one stops working I'm only out $20.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:38 AM

Nana just got a really nice new iron,  but I still like the ones I get at yard sales for a few dollars.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 11:11 AM

Yeah, I get along just fine with a cheap iron.  That way I don't feel so bad when it falls off the ironing board, which is a regular occurrence  The one I have, I have had a long time. It's a shark which was fairly pricy at the time, much of the color has worn off and it can't hold water.  But using a spray bottle like grandma did works just fine.  And the automatic shut off is very important in this house hold.  I regularly forget to unplug it as well.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280
Sherry replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 4:10 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, I only paid $3.00

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 4:45 PM

I just get the best deal I can when I need one.  I like one with a little weight behind it because I military crease my husband's uniforms.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 1,010

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on irons out there. So many to choose from! Guess I like the new features on the new ones they are coming out with. When I decide what iron I am getting I will let you all know what I ended up with. Thanks again for all the replys.

Patty Schleicher/MN

Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 4,855

I'm STILL ironing with a GE Light and Easy steam/dry iron that was a wedding gift in 1966! lol

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

10 quilters. 10 answers. This is a question that pops up at least once a year. I am back to using my old Braun.  Left the poor thing plugged in while I was at retreat for a week. Still works. Hated my shark. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

I am still using a Rowenta that I bought in the late 80's. The sole plate has a teflon coating that I love, and is hard to find on irons now. I think the price ended up being well worth it for 25+ years of wear and being bounced off the board more than a few times.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

I picked up a brand new Rowenta, at the good will for 6.00  but mostly I buy the old ones with the cloth cords very heavy and hot

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
684 Posts
Points 11,735

I bought a new Rowenta last year. What I don't like about it is if I leave water in there it drips out by the next day. My old Sunbeam never did this. i took it over to a neighbors home, but might bring it back home. the Rowenta is heavier than the old iron I had.

I think I will look at yard sales next time, great idea !!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use