Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti Posted: Thu, Oct 24 2013 9:28 PM

We are getting more and more retreats, and I think that is a good thing.  Not everyone can travel long distance. We have been very fortunate with our volunteer organizers.   But just as there have historically been some problems with fabric swaps, etc, eventually there might be a problem with retreats. 

Sometimes there can be a lot of money involved.  A couple times last year, I was holding on to over $1000 of other people's money.  I worried about what if something happened to me, and I had cashed those checks but not made the payment to Beachcombers, and Beachcombers didn't get paid by the deadline, a lot of people would have been out of money and no retreat!  Also a lot of folks have trusted that their money would go to the right place and not in someone's pocket.  It's been those of us in QCA for a long time, and with lots of posts that have organized some of these retreats, and it's then been easy to trust.  But things happen.  People get ill, they have a tragedy in their family.

What I am getting at, is I think there should be two people involved.  Both for accountability and for support.  And if a problem develops, two heads are better than one to come up with a fair solution. 

I would like a co-host for the Oregon Coast retreat, sometimes to help me make decisions, and someone who will know what is truly happening with the money.  I wouldn't mind saving deposit slips and the receipts to make copies of to send a co-organizer.  It's just good accountability.   And there were decisions I had to make that bouncing my ideas off someone would have been good. Sometimes a participant may have a concern they want to discuss with the other co-organizer, because they didn't like a decision that was made, or thought something was inappropriate.

Ideally, a co-organizer would also be attending the retreat, but that would not be necessary.

So anyone want to assist me with the Beachcomber's retreat?  I would still do most of the work, (which is easier every year,)  but could use the accountability, or someone to double check my math, and perhaps remind me that I already got paid for something.  (I did ask someone to pay twice for their room, but they reminded me they had paid before.)

CC, do you want some help?   (oh, and I think the organizer should make the final decision of who helps her.)

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:02 AM

miss patti, you are not just another pretty face.   you have some really good ideas.   we have had a situation just like this and it worked out fine.  as you know barbara has been ill and she asked nana to take over the organizating for branson while she recuperates .   having a person at hand that already knows all the details is a great idea.  that way you  don't have someone coming in  the middle and playing catch up.   i think a first choice should be someone who is attending the retreat.   that would make it that much easier, if the organizer fell ill.  

it is pretty amazing that with as many retreats as we've held, that we haven't run into any serious problems. here we go, sending our money off to someone we have never met in person.   what a leap of faith.   i would be willing to help either you or CC, just let me know.   with one caveat,   i am an airhead, most of the time. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:38 PM

gini:
we haven't run into any serious problems. here we go, sending our money off to someone we have never met in person.   what a leap of faith

Well, we might be chain-saw murderers (whose family was it that thought that of us?), but at least we're not swindlers!  

(hee, hee - except when I swindled all those fat quarters from everyone!  LOL)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 2:33 PM

Patti, I would be willing to be your back-up if that would help you feel better about it.  You are right and I completely understand.

Gini, I agree...we have been very lucky...so far.  Things happen in life and you never know.

delete

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 178,388
Marie replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 4:26 PM

MNnancy:
Well, we might be chain-saw murderers (whose family was it that thought that of us?),

That would be mine, Nancy.  LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 4:45 PM

MNnancy:
Well, we might be chain-saw murderers (whose family was it that thought that of us?), but at least we're not swindlers!

Axe murderers please. I've never used a chain saw. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 6:24 PM

Kris:

MNnancy:

Axe murderers please. I've never used a chain saw. LOL

Seems to  me a both an axe and a saw are too messy, and awkward for small feminine hands to hold onto. I'll stick with a rotary cutter...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 6:38 PM

MNnancy:

gini:
we haven't run into any serious problems. here we go, sending our money off to someone we have never met in person.   what a leap of faith

(hee, hee - except when I swindled all those fat quarters from everyone!  LOL)

Sam refers to us as the ax murderers.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 8:45 PM

well I have to say I know how to use a chainsaw and an axe so watch out ladies lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:00 PM

Leslie

Me too.   Not so good at it anymore but I used to cut and split wood in my younger days...LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:01 PM

Gini

I am going to draft you to be my second for Branson since you already know most of the particulars.  And Patti I think it is a perfect idea to have someone to rely on in case of emergency or just in case of brain freeze.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:06 PM

Will do nana. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:07 PM

Uhm, maybe I was just conscripted and didn't have a choice.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:08 PM

gini:

Uhm, maybe I was just conscripted and didn't have a choice.

Yep that would be the case....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 9:17 PM

Wait ACK! NO-o-o!! Nana stole my back-up. Help! Help! Police! Stop, Theif!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use