rated by 0 users
This post has 59 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 1:08 PM

Diana:

Gini,  If you didn't show it all to me, I still don't know it. LOL. 

Diana in East TN

; ). Now you'll never know for sure.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

Too bad that's such a lousy time of the year to travel very far. What a hoot a full blown retreat would be for dozens of quilters and that would include New Year's Eve.

Gini, you and I talked about Fort Worden as a possible retreat location. It's an incredible place with those huge officer's quarters, Puget Sound on your doorstep and wide expanses of lawn. And primo quilt shops just a few miles away in Port Townsend, Port Gamble and Sequim.  Average temps in Dec and Jan is 39-46. New Years Eve at Fort Worden. Just gives me goosebumps to think about. Hopefully before I'm too old to attend.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/fortworden/accommodations/

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

I am still plotting and scheming ways to convince DH to agree to this.  I think I am getting there - just requires a bit of compromising.  :)  He suggested getting our own cabin with a hot tub somewhere in the mountains close to you.  That way, when I am with you sewing away, he can be hiking or fishing or exploring or relaxing in the hot tub with the dogs for company.  The hot tub was key for him.  I guess that makes sense given the temperatures in the mountains that time of year!

He was not at all ok with the idea of me just taking off and leaving him for New Years.  Seemed like the idea of my wanting to be away for him on my birthday also didn't resonate well... go figure.  :)

You are in the Smoky Mountains, right?  I sort of just assumed since you're in East Tennessee, but thought I should verify that!  :)

Now I just have to get past the idea that we throw the annual NYE party for all our friends nearby...

Nana & Gini, you crack me up.  I hope you posted pictures of the projects you made with Diana's fabric so that at least she can quit wondering what she did with it.  I know if it were me, I would never notice that it was gone - I'd probably just assume I put it somewhere smart so I wouldn't lose it.    :)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:10 PM

Carolyn,  I'm about 45 minutes to the Smokey' s.  I'm near where Rt 81 begins and connects to I-40.  I'm closer to Sevierville or Pigeon Forge.  There are lots of cabin rentals in both places and it's a short drive to Gatlinburg.  Just some thoughts.  DOLLYWOOD has a beautiful holiday program too.  The decorations all over the cities are beautiful to see.

Diana in East TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:47 PM

If it is planned right, we could lurch from retreat to retreat!   no breaks. Maybe pop by home to visit the family before hitting the road for the next one.   I've seen retreats from early spring to late fall and now the dead of winter. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 10:57 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Gini, you and I talked about Fort Worden as a possible retreat location. It's an incredible place with those huge officer's quarters, Puget Sound on your doorstep and wide expanses of lawn. And primo quilt shops just a few miles away in Port Townsend, Port Gamble and Sequim.  Average temps in Dec and Jan is 39-46. New Years Eve at Fort Worden. Just gives me goosebumps to think about. Hopefully before I'm too old to attend.

I have check out and thought about Fort Warden many times.  I'd love to go there.  It would be more difficult for those who want to fly in.   They could all rent a car together.

I think it is also a difficult place to get in, sometimes reservations need to be made more than one year in advance.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:15 PM

How about the light house keepers residence (there is apparently more than one) at Cape Disappointment.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/vacationhouses/capedisappointment/

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:20 AM

I am very interested in the Fort Worden idea.  That's only about 60 miles north of my house.

The Kitsap Airporter goes all the way from Seatac to Silverdale, but Fort Worden is 44 miles beyond that.  

Judy is right.  The quilt shops are el primo.  The Quilted Strait in Port Gamble is a huge barn converted to a quilt shop.  http://www.quiltedstrait.com/  It is way too easy to spend lots of money there. 

Any Twilight Saga fans could take a side trip to Forks -- 104 miles to the west.  The cold, foggy, rainy weather and darker days at that time of the year would have people looking over their shoulders for vampires. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:54 AM

Patti, did you check out the "dormitory" accommodations at Fort Warden?  I had to poke around a bit, but it might work:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/fortworden/accommodations/dormitories.aspx

Single rooms with shared bathrooms (dormitory style), large kitchen and meeting rooms...sounds like a possibility.  Wouldn't work with spouses along, but just for the girls it would be a wonderful site.  And having access to great quilt shops would be a plus.  Even if we did have to book more than a year in advance, I think we have enough commitment within the group for an annual west-coast retreat to consider this.  Maybe for 2015?

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

Donna. I stayed in the dormitories in 1988. They were bunk beds holding 2 people. It may have changed since then to one per room. 

We may be taking a ride to the Peninsula this weekend if it's nice weather. We can swing by and inquire at the office. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 2:33 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Donna. I stayed in the dormitories in 1988. They were bunk beds holding 2 people. It may have changed since then to one per room. 

We may be taking a ride to the Peninsula this weekend if it's nice weather. We can swing by and inquire at the office. 

Judy,if you can check it out that would be great!  Also wondering if the conference room would have adequate power and lighting, etc.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 12:01 AM

Vivian

You could hop and jump over to Branson in the spring.  I know that Gini and I would love to see you again and there are a whole bunch of fantastic ladies that you would have a great time with.   You could fly into Springfield, MO and then it is just a skip on to the hotel.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Diana,  I officially have buy-in from DH on this!  I just have to find a nearby cabin with a hot tub and book it.  When I told him the towns nearby, he looked it up and decided that he'd like to go skiing while we are quilting.  Works great for me!  I am TERRIBLE at skiing and I hate being cold, so a lift ticket is a total waste on me.  :)

Thank you so much for offering to share your space with me.  I can't wait to see this stash I keep hearing about!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 6:37 AM

Carolyn,  That sounds great.  OberGatlinburg is beautiful andi they make snow when it's cold enough.  I hear it's great skiing but I wouldn't know since I don't like the cold either.   I will PM you my address and phone number.  Sounds like a great time.

Diana in East TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 1:16 PM

we could do a cyber retreat, if everyone has a camera hook-up

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use