Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose Posted: Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:19 AM

I'm 64. Brasilian, born in São Paulo, living in Belo Horizonte. Just began patchworking. I'm on my second work. And I would like to know if there is anyplace in Usa (except earthquaques zones ("terrified")) where I could stay for about 10 days learning the patchwork basics. I've been to Fletcher Farm in Vermont but they have a very tight period of classes.

Sorry for my english. Thanks for any information

Hugs

Rose

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:58 AM

Rose

If you google quilting classes usa there are several places that offer classes and they all have really good instructers.  I suggest that you check those out and see if any of them meet your needs.  There were several places offering at least 5 day classes. I hope this helps.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Rose, welcome to the QCA forums.

If I were looking for a class to attend, I think I'd check out some of the name teachers, ie Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson, Mark Lipinski, Eleanor Burns. I know that Eleanor Burns offers classes. I also think that some of the classes in Asilomar, CA. I know that CA is know for its earthquakes, but they really aren't that common. Look through some quilting books to see what kinds of quilts you really like, then check the internet to see if those designers are teachers and if they offer classes. You might also check out some of the cruises that are specifically for quilting. In fact, there's an online magazine about various quilting trips. Here's the link

Quiltposium

You have to register for this site, but it's free.

I'm sure others will have suggestions for you, too.

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Welcome Rose:  Your English is fine!!!  :)  My favorite teacher is Eleanor Burns.  I've not taken any classes from her just used her books.  She makes everything so very clear and easy to follow. 

I'm sure that someone will give you great information on the kind of classes that you want!  Welcome to Quilters Club of America.  You are the first from Brazil, I think!!!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Hello Rose and welcome to QCA.  Since you are asking for classes in USA, does that mean there is not much quilting done in Brasil?  Are there any quilting clubs or fabric stores that offer classes?

If you are a member of QCA, you have access to many videos on QNN that show you how to do basic piecing.  Good luck finding the lessons you are looking for.

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:32 PM

Rose:

I'm 64. Brasilian, born in São Paulo, living in Belo Horizonte.

Rose, Ja fais 40 anos que eu more em Belo Horizonte.  Foi um estudante de intercambio.  Como voce pode ver, meu portugues ja e muito mao.  Agora tambem confundo com o espanhol.  Eu posso mostrar a voce como "quilt" i eu posso platicar portugues.

Looks like I need to get a dictionary and learn how to put in the accent marks, etc.  Long ago, I lost contact with my Brazilian host families, and I have not had the opportunity to speak Portuquese in 35 years.  I will "friend" you and we can exchange information.  I would love to host you some time.  We live in a beautiful but remote area in Washington state, the northwest corner of continental US.  I could give you quilt lessons, and you could help me with my portuguese.  Perhaps you could coordinate the trip with classes elsewhere at a quilter conference, but get the basics from me first with private lessons.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:19 AM

Patti

What an awesome offer.  I hope Rose takes you up on it.  I am sure you would both have a wonderful time.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Patti:

I would love to host you some time.  We live in a beautiful but remote area in Washington state, the northwest corner of continental US.  I could give you quilt lessons, and you could help me with my portuguese.  Perhaps you could coordinate the trip with classes elsewhere at a quilter conference, but get the basics from me first with private lessons.

Patti -- This is really sweet of you to offer to Rose.  My son and his family have gone to Brazil 4 or 5 times on short term mission trips and love it.  They know VERY little Portuguese though.  Good thing they have wonderful local translators. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:45 AM

Hi Nana,

Thank you very much for your advice. Very kind of you.

Hugs from Brasil

Rose

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:50 AM

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your reply. I'll look for classes with these teachers. But I was enchanted by the idea of a quilting cruise, did I get it right ? Quilt sailling ?  This would be heaven!  My husband doesn't love cruises but I love them !!

Hugs from Brasil

Rose

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:53 AM

Hi Snowbird,

thank you for your attention. I'll certainly look for Eleanor Burns personally or her books.

Hugs from Brasil

Rose

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:15 AM

Hi Sandy H.

I'm a member of QNN, and I first asked them for patchwork classes; they directed me to QCA.  I love their videos, through them and with some books (for dummies)  I started quilting, I'm begining my second work. It's  been hard because it's full of triangles. I should have been more humble ...

We have some quilting stores, we have some quilt confferences, we have fabric stores, few specialized in quilt patterns. In Belo Horizonte, where I live, there's just one place where we can take classes, but not individual, besides they choose the projects the'll teach, so I thought it would be much better if I could join:  lessons in english, know a new place, make new friends, teach some brasilian cooking (I'm a good cook) and some brasilian words...

Thank you very much for your reply. Hugs from Brasil.

Rose

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 390
Rose replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:37 AM

Hi Patti, Thanks very much for your offer. It's very kind of you.

If there's 35 years that you don't speak Portuguese you're a genius. I understood every word you said in Portuguese.

As I said, we (husband and I) are going to USA (Ohio and Pensylvania - Amish/Mennonite route) for 1 month. We'll be back in Brasil by May, and then I'll make contact with you again, to make arrangements. I think that besides talk Portuguese I'll be able to make some brasilian food, and, of course, I'd like to pay for my stay.

We love to travel in USA, the roads are very good, people is friendly, maps are excellent. We already know more than 30 states, including Hawaii. We also love to go to Europe but we just go there in a group of doctors our friends from São Paulo, next October we'll go to Istambul, Capadocia, Jordany and Dubai with them.

Members of QCA are very friendly, got so many replies.

Thank you again. Hugs from Rose

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:19 AM

Rose:
I think that besides talk Portuguese I'll be able to make some brasilian food, and, of course, I'd like to pay for my stay.

I would love some Brazilian food.  You can pay for the gas to pick you up at an airport, but not for the stay.  We will have a lot of fun.

Are you and your husband retired doctors?  I am a part time social worker at a dialysis clinic, and my husband is an entomologist.  Sounds like you and your husband travel a lot. 

Enjoy your trip to Ohio and Pennsylvania.  My husband is from Pennsylvania, and I always like to visit Lancaster county where many of the Amish live.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 8:17 AM

Rose

You will see some beautiful quilts when you travel thru Pennsylvania.  The Amish do such beautiful quilt work.  Enjoy your trip.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use