Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 230
Sammylynn87 Posted: Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:13 PM

So one of the big Questions I have is about thread.  I am a deal shopper and when i see a good deal on thread I want to buy it.  I as of right now do not have a sewing machine, but I will when I get home from my deployment.  The question is does it matter what thread I buy?  Also is there certain thread that can only be used in certain machines? 

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:16 AM

some machines dislike certain threads.   some thread is very fluffy and creates a lot of lint.   they are making threads so much stronger these days,  that it is a matter of preference.  i like aurifil because it is strong, doesn't lint and is thin so i get a lot on my bobbin.   my machine will piece with anything, but hates king tut thread for quilting.  we ( my machine and I)  have had several discussions about this and my machine always wins out. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:31 AM

I agree with Gini - some machines are picky. Lots of my friends use Guterman or Coats and Clark and are very happy with the results. My domestic machine will sew with anything but I find the stitches with Aurilil and Presencia look nicer and lay flatter so I use those for piecing. When working on purses, clothing or other crafty sorts of projects, I use whatever I find in the color I need. I have also used SoFine which I like as well. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 16,075
Susan replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:31 PM

Sammy, I agree with everything both ladies have said .  There may be other shops I have not heard of yet but after buying at several shops i found "Pumpkinvinecorner.com "to be the most reasonable for Aurifil thread. I also like Guttermen, poly and cotton. I have lots of Connecting Threads essentials cotton and found it to be heavy, thick and linty. I do not  use coats and clark. Hope we have been helpful!!!   Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:16 AM

That's a wonderful site with great prices. I found that uouncannput in the cart several spools of thread for the basic shipping cost of $6. Their threads are $7 /spool and in the store they are $11-12/spool. They also have all the colors as well as variegated colors, all at the same price. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use