Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 370
LNofTROY Posted: Mon, Oct 21 2013 4:40 PM

Hi!

My husband got me EQ7 about 2 Christmas ago, and to my shame, I did a few of the tutorial and used it one or twice for blocks orientation ideas. I saw a patterns and quilts done by other people, but they seem to be like 'Professional' EQ type.

I was wondering if 'normal' day to day quilters are using this software, or other maybe on a regular basis, if so, what features do you find the most useful? This might help me to get in the habit of using this software a bit more. (its not a difficult software to use, it just like I do not think about using it!)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,799
Points 352,047
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 6:54 PM

Hi LN,

I'm an everyday quilter and I use EQ quite a bit. I started with 6 then upgraded to 7 and now EQ Stitch. I find many features useful. I like being able to audition fabrics to see how they look in my blocks. There is even a "fussy cut" tool. I like being able to print rotary cutting , templates or paper piecing instructions. I enjoy the photo manipulation features.

With EQ you can combine blocks or cut up a block and rearrange the pieces to make a new block all with the "serendipity".

I really like layers. You can see what your quilt looks like with appliqué or other motifs as well as quilting designs without altering the base design. turn them on and off as you choose.

There's so much that I can't begin to list all the things I like about EQ. 

Most of all I enjoy playing around in it to see what I can come up with. Even DH has created his own design in EQ.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 19,050

I got my EQ7 in May. I love, love, love it. My favorite part is that when we do block swaps, I can just plug in the size of the block and I get the exact measurements. Also, I recently learned to do paper piecing with it. I've designed a couple of quilts with it but haven't actually made the quilts yet. I'm kind of a slow quilter. I went through all the tutorials. I had a ball just learning. I also printed out all the tutorials and put them in sheet protectors and in a binder. I can use them for references when needed. It's pretty funny though, when I set down to use it, I spend all day in my computer room. Just spend some time with it and I'm sure you will have fun with it.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 370
LNofTROY replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 7:24 PM

You both gave me ideas about the paper piecing and the applique!

I mostly do traditional quilts with the 'normal' machine piecing. Lately I have been thinking of expending my horizon to try other techniques, and thanks for reminding me that I could also do some of it with EQ!

I remember the serenpedity option, i always get in 'awe' in from of the kaledeoscope (something like that!!!) quilt. Mind you, I need a bit more practice in my quilt endeavour before risking making one of these!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 197
Points 2,540

I have been using EQ since 5 came out and then upgraded to 6 and 7.  Strangely, until recently, I only used the very basic options.  I have been going through my tutorial book and videos and am amazed that I didn't use more of my EQ.  But even just using the basics, I use my EQ constantly.  I love to sit down and design gifts.  They are smaller and easier to finish.  I can also keep track of what I give to whom.  After Christmas presents have been opened and always ask if anyone saw something this year that they would like to receive as a gift in the future.  When someone mentions that they really liked something, I can go back to my EQ and pull up the exact thing I gave away, maybe make a few small changes and redo as another gift.  I love my EQ

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,799
Points 352,047
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:34 PM

There's an EQ group here on QCA. There hasn't been much activity lately but you can still ready some of the past discussions. Also, if you have questions, someone will have an answer for you. I'm still monitoring the group incase questions come up.

Here's how to see those old discussions:

Sorting and Filtering:

The default on this site is set to show posts newer than two months. In order to see older posts you will need to adjust your "sorting and Filtering" Options.

From the "Discussions" page just under the heading you'll see the words "Sorting and Filtering" in red. Click there. You'll see "Sort by". In the box below the "with date" heading choose "show all" then apply. All the past discussions will now be visible.

Unfortunately this action is not saved and will have to be repeated every time you navigate away from that discussion page. I've mentioned it to admin but I think the issue is very low priority.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 370
LNofTROY replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:48 PM

Thank you for the information Kris :)

I tried to see at first, if someone had posted something on EQ, and did not find it (I wanted to avoid double posting on same topic), but obviously, I should have check for the older posts.

It seems I will have a bit of reading ahead!

LN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,799
Points 352,047
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:04 PM

You're welcome LN. It's no big deal if you ask a question that's gone before. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:35 AM

I started with EQ6 and now have EQ7. I use is all the time. I am in a BOM with uses template which I hate and lots of bias sewing. So I draw the blocks in EQ and print out the paper piecing foundations. My blocks are dead spot on for the points and are exactly the size they need to be.

I also use it to play with border numbers and sizes. As well as an EQ group here - EQ has a blog as well with loads of great info.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 370
LNofTROY replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 6:12 PM

So, if I understood well, any block (except for applique of course) can be transferred from a conventional  piecing into a paper piecing template using EQ? Lets say that I want to do a Ribbon Star or a Garden Path quilt blocks, I can tell EQ that I want these in paper piecing templates and it will create the template so I just need to print it?

If so, this is great. For some reasons, I was under the impression that some blocks were identified as paper piecing, other as normal piecing, etc...

Ok, next long week-end, I have to get back into it LOL

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,799
Points 352,047
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 12:52 AM

That's right LN. You choose how you want to put it together. You can even select the pieces you want to group together and put in the number sequence yourself. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
virgie replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 1:03 AM

The more you use it - the easier it will be to do things with it. Start with something simple and work into harder projects. I like to use it to recreate quilts I have seen and want to make. Just have fun with it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 3:10 AM

I use eq7 .  I love how i can test colors to see how they contrast and also the layout helps I find its a very useful tool.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:38 AM

Kris is quicker on reply than I  - lol - she is correct. After a block is chosen, you can either print a picture of the block, the paper piecing foundations, the templates or the rotary cutting direction for that one block. In the foundation choice - it automatically chooses what it thinks you should do - but you can regroup the pieces and renumber them as well as under the "options tab" can change the size without altering the quilt.

If you choose to do so, if you preview the printout before actually printing it, you can delete and move pieces around so that lets say all the corners are on one page. You also can print several copies at once for several blocks.

Although I try not to do applique .. with applique blocks you can print out all the cutting templates.

I could not do without my EQ!!

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 370
LNofTROY replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:48 PM

Great! I like the idea of trying to reproduce other quilts that we saw. Sometimes my brain is too tired and just cannot really think of more than playing with one block or two. But having to play with some blocks and  figure out the design is a very good idea.

Thanks a lot for these info ;)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use