Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 2:45 AM

By "late date" Nancy, do you mean ice and snow making travel difficult in an RV? 

The date on Patti's made me go "hummm" too.  I remember last year we had some storms in the Pacific NW and it was 2 weeks before I felt safe enough to drive from Seattle all the way to North Dakota.  Even then, I almost "bought it" on that section of the I-90 in the mountains west of Missoula.  Scary trip. 

I am hoping Patti's date is still early enough along the coast. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 12:38 PM

Quiltless:
By "late date", do you mean ice and snow making travel difficult in an RV? 

Whether it's me and DH or me and a girlfriend, we travel by car, and there are multiple steep mountain passes and wide open, wind-swept prairies between MN and OR.  I'd hate to put non-refundable money down on a retreat and then have to cancel at the last moment due to weather.  Even Branson in Feb/March is going to be a risk.  I'll probably have to start signing up for more local retreats to enjoy that uninterrupted quilting time.  I do like to get DH out on the road with me, though, so the destination retreats have been fun.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 2:09 PM

I thought that was what you meant.  It helps to know what factors go into the choices to go or not to go.  I don't like winter driving either.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 5:25 PM

My thinking is that the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept  2014  would work, based on what you all have said of your schedules, and weather considerations. April/May are our rainy months. I know Quiltless wants to see the lilacs in bloom, but that puts us up against Memorial day . Rates are higher between Memorial day and Labor day. By then, school will be getting out , which is a factor for me.  Plus, that's when I work, so I'll be too busy to come. It'd really suck not to get to meet all of you when you're right in my back yard! Selfish of me... But there ya are. 

Glacier's Going to the Sun Road often isn't open until early to mid-June, but stays open until the snow closes it, which usually doesn't hapen until the end of Sept, so there's that to consider for those of you planning to work the park into your trip. My own opinion is that  Yellowstone/Teton really come into their own in the fall!  

Gini has already described the most scenic trip to go Park to Park and hit the  best quilt shops. LOL When the Larch' turn in the fall the drive is stunning. 

Cheap is good. I like cheap. The more we save on the venue the more we have to spend on Toys. LOL But i didn't want anyone thinking that we only had one option. When I see the realtor I'll ask if he knows of any houses large enough that we could rent by the week, as well. 

DH suggested that we look into getting rooms at the hotel and using the community hall for our sewing. It's certainly big enough, and altho it's not on-sight, it is only a few blocks away.  There's a kitchen in it that we can use.  He's going to stop at the city offices when he has a chance and explore that possibility for me. They might cut us a good deal on the price. 

There is an RV campground next to the city park for folks who want to come in with campers. I'm not sure what the fee is for that, but it's not much ($5-10 a night??). Let me know if you need me to find out for you. 

Quilt shops nearby:   Well, there were 2 in Shelby but I heard one was closing. Don't know for sure... That's handy for anyone coming in on the train. I think there's still one in Cut Bank, also handy for folks coming across the high line.   And several in Great falls, plus one in Carter. All of the above are an hour or more's drive from the hotel. The one in Choteau and the Quilting Hen in Carter are the largest. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 5:49 PM

I really am not all that happy with the Oregon coast retreat schedule, but they didn't have any openings with the sandbox on weeks I could come in October.  I'd love Montana.  Actually, I'd love to go to all the retreats.  When we first started these, I thought just locals would come, but they come from everywhere! 

I would still like something closer to home.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:03 PM

chocake2:
My thinking is that the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept  2014  would work

That works for me. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

Patti:
I really am not all that happy with the Oregon coast retreat schedule, but they didn't have any openings with the sandbox on weeks I could come in October. 

Patti, the Oregon Coast is awesome year around. Stormy weather isn't a deterrent as far as I'm concerned. Ever gone beach walking after a storm? I'm really looking forward to it next year. I explained to our dogs that they may not go for as many walks if it's really nasty, but they don't care. 

Besides, I've been down the coast in December and had sunny weather; chilly, but sunny.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 9:09 PM

The reason the time of year is a possible problem to me, is that I would have a very good chance of going though snow somewhere to get there.   But at least studs will be allowed November 1 so I can be prepared. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 10:03 PM

Patti:

The reason the time of year is a possible problem to me, is that I would have a very good chance of going though snow somewhere to get there.   But at least studs will be allowed November 1 so I can be prepared. 

Same possibility for myself and Marge P.  In fact, even worse is the possibility of ice in the Columbia Gorge.  Personally, I would much rather have snow.

However, I am not a fan of studded tires.  I much prefer good snow-traction tires.  They are also much better than studs on ice!

FYI, we all could have  snow going over the Coast Range between McMinneville and Lincoln City.  It's not very high, but it is high enough to collect snow when the temperatures drop.  It's not likely, but it is possible in November.

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:29 PM

Patti:

I really am not all that happy with the Oregon coast retreat schedule, but they didn't have any openings with the sandbox on weeks I could come in October.  I'd love Montana.  Actually, I'd love to go to all the retreats.  When we first started these, I thought just locals would come, but they come from everywhere! 

I would still like something closer to home.

I'm very happy you are doing another retreat, Patti and the time is okay too.  We will make it there and enjoy it very much.

We are in a catch 22 for finding very inexpensive places.  Anything near an airport or near a city like Seattle, where public transportation would be convenient in all kinds of weather, would probably be too expensive.  Real estate doesn't come cheap in metro areas so rentals are also high.  Yet, it costs more to get to the rural, destination area retreats.  All in all, I think there's a good balance going on.  The retreats look just wonderful.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:32 PM

<Laughs> 

CC

I dont' think most people know what the "highline" is, but the 2 of us do.  I haven't heard it called that in many years. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:41 PM

chocake2:
My thinking is that the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept  2014  would work, based on what you all have said of your schedules, and weather considerations.

Phooey, I won't be able to do that and Oregon.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:49 PM

Montana in September works for me as I could precede it with a trip to North Dakota to visit cousins I haven't seen in years.  

I made the trip to Branson at the end of February and had to spend one night in New Mexico because interstate was closed due to snow and ice and lots of accidents.  Also ran into snow in Missouri, but the worst was crossing the Rockies in Colorado on the way back...icy, icy roads.

We had beautiful weather in October to the Oregon Coast, but again, later in the year presents possible snowy roads over the passes between Nevada and the coast.  I really don't want to push my luck driving in the winter...my luck is bound to run out sooner or later.  

I'll be looking for retreats that are held somewhere between Mid-April and the first of October.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:56 PM

And phooey, I won't be able to do Oregon because we don't own studded tires and/or chains - illegal to use on Minnesota roads.  Kris, I guess we'll have to attend each other's retreat virtually.  Look at how fast new people helped to fill that Oregon retreat!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 9:45 AM

Kris:

chocake2:
My thinking is that the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept  2014  would work, based on what you all have said of your schedules, and weather considerations.

Phooey, I won't be able to do that and Oregon.

Yes, that is definitely an issue. Really I think that is the biggest draw-back for most folks. I'm open for suggestions if anyone can come up with a workable solution. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use