rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 165
Lesley Posted: Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:36 AM

Hi everyone

Im in Brisbane Australia and am new to the group and also to quilting. I am just about to start my first quilt and have been looking to be part of a quilting community for some time. I have alway admired Quilters but have been really scared to do one so far. But I have purchased a couple of books now and some basic supplies and am almost ready to take the plunge!

I am not expecting my first quilt to be a quick one as I have an eye operation on both eyes coming up in the next month but I love sewing so even if it takes me a while to complete I am ok with that.

Lesley :D

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:59 AM

Hi Lesley, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Points 3,240

Welcome, Lesley

Good luck with your eye surgery.  Even if you can't sew immediately, just think of all the wonderful adventures you are about to start with fabric

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 9:52 AM

Welcome Lesley :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,275

Hi Leslie, I'm new here too. Welcome! I've made a couple of baby quilts and got them done, by error and pure luck, mistakes and all. Just have found that when I get frustrated I need to put it aside and walk away for a day... return to it with a clear head and fresh perspective. I have no doubt it will all come together one day.  :) 

Good luck to you with your impending surgeries.  Kathy  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Welcome Lesley!

I am new to quilting too - about a year - and joined this group in August. Everyone here is so helpful! If you have questions they are happy to help. I have found that You tube has been very helpful to me as well. You can find many helpful quilting videos there.

Good luck with your surgery and welcome to the group!

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,469
Points 362,052
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 4:19 PM

Welcome Lesley. All the best for your surgery.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:04 PM

hi lesley and welcome to the group.   i hope your eye surgery goes well. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:30 PM

Welcome Lesley...although I've been quilting for about 5 years now, I still consider myself a beginner, just beginning to try some of the more complicated quilts.  Good luck with your eye surgery and hope we see  you on here often.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,280
Points 173,403
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 5:33 PM

Hi and welcome Lesley!  Glad you could join us here on QCA.  I'm from Millbury, MA just west of Boston and am so happy to see another Australian in our midst.  Enjoy!  Thoughts and prayers coming your way for the surgery you face on your eyes.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Welcome Lesley - You will love it here. I'm still a beginner also. It is my world now though. Good luck with your coming surgery.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 165
Lesley replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:36 AM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone :) I am really happy to be here an meeting all of you. I am not fast at sewing to it may be a whle before I have anything to show. Most of my sewing has been pretty straight forward making cushions, coats for my lovely two dogs and making their bed linen. That kind of thing. I am nervous about start a quilt but half of it is the excitment of the new challenge!

Im a bit confused at the moment about the bias binding of the edges of the quilts the the corners. And have been looking at how they are done a bit but I think I am getting a bit ahead of my self as I havent even started the quilting part yet. :)

I'm sorry for the late reply. I work full time in the city and it takes me a while to get home at night.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:57 AM

Hi Leslie.  If your quilt has straight edges and corners without curves, you don't need a biased edge.  If you have curves the bias helps you fit the binding around the curves.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use