Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225
Linda Gless Posted: Wed, Oct 16 2013 3:20 PM

So - I am a new quilter - just finished my first quilt - a reversible quilt-as-you-go king-sized quilt measuring 125" x 125". Immediately after completing that - I started on Mystery Quilt 9 - without changing my needle. Going over the seams was just terrible - the needle got stuck in one place and I had to 'force' the fabric through................until I had a thought. CHANGE THE NEEDLE. What a major difference - it glides through those seams like butter now. 

So - if you're having trouble getting your needle through the fabric - try changing the needle. It could make a world of difference. Just sayin'............. lol

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

if im sewing steady i change my needle every 2 hours it really does make a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,060
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 9:15 AM

Good timing on your post, Linda.  One of the Oregon retreat quilters was having a problem with thread "birdnesting" on the underside of her project no matter how many times she attempted to adjust tension.  I mentioned your post to her and asked how long it had been since she changed her needle.  She slapped her forehead and admitted she hadn't changed it all week.  Now she has a new sharp needle in place and the sewing is going smoothly!  New needles can solve multiple dilemmas!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 225
Patty HRN replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 10:38 AM

I always change my needle after each project.  I use an 80/12 usually for piecing and a 90/14 for top stitching or whatever the thread manufacturer recommends.  If you ever have trouble with your tension the first thing to do is change the needle.  If I'm working on a really large project, I'll change it when I'm about 1/2 way through piecing, and the same for the top stitching (quilting).  It is amazing the difference a needle can make!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,411
Points 45,850
ls2116 replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Wow Nancy - I didn't know a dull needle could cause that much commotion!!! I am a true newbie to the sport. Glad the post helped! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Patty - thanks for the advice on what size needle to use for what - a pretty confusing thing for a new person like myself.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.