Top 10 Posters

Looking for a new open toed darning foot for FMQ!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 360
Sarah Scott posted on Wed, Oct 16 2013 2:12 PM

I have the Babylock Melody and it came with a clear closed toed darning foot.  Not sure if an open toed darning foot is any better.  Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Grand Rapids, Michigan

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355
Verified by Sarah Scott

Here is the you tube video link from Leah Day on how to modify your darning foot to do FMQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbNPgnP8r4

You might want to modify a cheaper generic foot, instead of the one that came with your machine.

Based on my personal experience you want to take careful notes of what your sewing machine wants by changing one variable at a time and seeing if you can FMQ better or worse. For example, my sewing machine doesn't care either way if the feed dogs are up or down, but weird things happen if I try using the Magic Genie bobbin washer. And removing one extra rubber band loop made all the difference in the world (you will know what I am talking about when you watch the video. ) Each machine type is unique.

Good luck. Practice, practice, practice.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 12,464

Sarah, I cut a piece out of my closed foot. Seems like I saw on u tube how to do that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355
Verified by Sarah Scott

Here is the you tube video link from Leah Day on how to modify your darning foot to do FMQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbNPgnP8r4

You might want to modify a cheaper generic foot, instead of the one that came with your machine.

Based on my personal experience you want to take careful notes of what your sewing machine wants by changing one variable at a time and seeing if you can FMQ better or worse. For example, my sewing machine doesn't care either way if the feed dogs are up or down, but weird things happen if I try using the Magic Genie bobbin washer. And removing one extra rubber band loop made all the difference in the world (you will know what I am talking about when you watch the video. ) Each machine type is unique.

Good luck. Practice, practice, practice.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 360

Thank you so much for the suggestion!! It's a great video!! I appreciate your help!!  Can't wait to go home and try it out!! 

Thanks again!!'

Grand Rapids, Michigan

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use