Top 10 Posters

End of the Oregon Trail

Page 23 of 31 (460 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 459 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 10:49 PM

Continuing our trip today, on the south side of the Yaquina headland (where the lighthouse is located), there is a "cobble" beach....comprised of roundish black stones instead of sand.  These cobbles were formed by hot lava pouring into the cold ocean and "crystalizing" suddenly forming black lava chunks that have, over the eons been worn smooth and almost round by the action of the waves and sand.  These varied in size from fist size to thimble size.  Here is a pic:

Here is a picture of Wayne, Will and Tasha.    (Actually, walking on these cobbles is kind of difficult as they roll under your feet.  They found a sandy area for a ways to walk in.  You can see the cobbles behind them.):

DebMN and Diana,  I found out the "seals" we saw yesterday (and that Kris posted the picture of) are definitely Harbor Seals.  The Park Ranger identified them for us, so now we know for sure.  We saw a lot of them here too!  They were resting on a rock outcropping just off shore...and notice the ones floating in the water between us and the rock - with just their heads above water!  They are doing what is called "bottling"...which is floating in an up-right position, kind of like a wine bottle floats in water when it is half full of liquid. According to the Park information, the seals can do this for hours, even sleeping in this position.  Here is the picture:

And, one last picture of pelicans and harbor seals:

To end today's adventure, we traveled inland to Toledo, Oregon to visit the Toledo Train Museum that was of interest to our DH's.  The highlight for them, was an old 2-8-2 steam locomotive used in logging in the nearby Coast Range for many years.  It was made in Philadelphia and delivered to Toledo in 1922 and given the name "One Spot".  She was retired in 1959.

If any of you have train buffs for DH's (and especially steam locomotives), be sure to show them this picture.  They will love it!

That's all for today folks, I'll let you know what our travels will be tomorrow.  Drift Creek Falls and Bridge seem to be at the top of the list...so we may be heading inland.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 10:54 PM

Pam:
DonnaB have fun! Supposed to beautiful for another week too. Here are pix DH & I took last Tues. after we visited y'all.

Thanks Pam, we hope to enjoy as much as we can!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 10:59 PM

Frances:

Donna,

I can almost believe im there thank you so much for the pictures its great for me to see what your wonderful country looks like.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances, my pleasure!  I am a native (and very proud) Oregonian with pioneer family roots (1845 wagon-train) and always love to show off my home State to anyone willing to listen and/or watch my pictures.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:06 PM

Pam:

Great coast shots Donna!

It never gets old- DH and I sneak over to do the "coast thing" whenever we can. November is know for storms at sea and we get a room with a view just to see the magnificent waves.

Ahhhh, Nov. is almost here....I wonder....

:}

Pam, any chance you will join us for next year's retreat...starting Nov 2, 2014?  We would really love to have you join us!  If you even think you might, you should sign up to reserve a spot...you can back out later if necessary.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:11 PM

MNnancy:
We're spending the night in Missoula, MT.  A beautiful full moon peeking over the mountains lit the way after dark.
I'm waving at the moon from my side of the mountain Nancy. Can you see me reflected in it? 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 487
Points 9,205
Darlene replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:34 PM

We have arrived home .It is 12:30here.I moaned and groaned about flying because you can't take everything you want and I hate the airport rig a maroll but glad to be home in 1 day so safe travels everyone.

Darlene(2 many horses)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:40 PM

Debbie and I are home.   About a 12 hour trip.  We did  stop at a view point road cut on the way home.  I had stopped there previously many years ago, and ran up hill the the road cut high above the road (many years ago!) to get a better photo of a rainbow.  Finally made it back and picked up several good pieces of petrified wood.

It was a long drive, but beautiful all the way.

Thanks all for a wonderful time.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:40 PM

Darlene:
We have arrived home

I'm home safely too. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:43 PM

Patti:
We did  stop at a view point road cut on the way home.  I had stopped there previously many years ago, and ran up hill the the road cut high above the road (many years ago!) to get a better photo of a rainbow. 

Patti, where are you talking about?  Maybe we will stop there too...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,488
Points 362,222
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 11:53 PM

Glad you're home Darlene, Jacy, Patti and Debbie.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 12:15 AM

Donna, it's the view point between Yakima and Ellensburg.  Traveling east, just over the hill and looking down on the Ellenburg area.  Park the car and looking back, it's the road cut on the left, nearly at the top of the hill. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 12:27 AM

Patti:

Donna, it's the view point between Yakima and Ellensburg.  Traveling east, just over the hill and looking down on the Ellenburg area.  Park the car and looking back, it's the road cut on the left, nearly at the top of the hill. 

OK, I know where you mean...thanks!

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Robin and I enjoyed this retreat to the hilt.  Roommates Judy E and Deb were a joy, even if Judy T had her doubts about me.  LOL  -- Sewing table mate Donna B is a wealth of information, and we are relatives we have discovered, back a few generations.  Just four or five.  Patti is a Wagon master for sure.  She made this retreat go along with ease.  Kris the ever present photographer and reporter doing her excellent reporting along with the on going contests.  And to top it all off, a room full of friends.  How can you beat that?!

Robin being the excellent driver got us home safe and sound around four this afternoon.  Several shopping stops along the way and as Robin says, she's all about food and believe me she knows where the off the beaten path great restaurants are and we hit em.

Thanks everyone for the great time and your friendship.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,362
Points 415,009
gini replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 1:12 AM

i'm home.    it's coooold in here, trying to warm up. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 1:20 AM

I'm home too...got here about 10:30 after several stops along the way.  Although we left Glendenen about 7:30 this morning, we didn't leave Newport until about 10:30 or 11:00 after some breakfast and souvenir shopping for the grandsons.  Checked out the covered bridge in Lowell, OR, stopped for a rest in Chemult, OR, dinner in Klamath Falls, OR and got ice cream in Adin, CA.  We'll go pick up the dogs tomorrow morning..think DD2 is probably already in bed as she has to work tomorrow.

Page 23 of 31 (460 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use