Top 10 Posters

Need some help. Pretty new to this

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 220
mariann.dalton posted on Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:48 AM

I am going to quilt a top for my mother-in-law. Her mother made the quilt top out of worn polyester dresses. I am wondering what type of backing and batting you suggest since the top alone is already heavy. Also it has every color imaginable, should I use a transparent thread?  Thanks in advance for the help. 

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,933 Posts
Points 125,230

Mariann

I'm not much help here except, if you decide to use transparent thread test it first. My machine just won't accept it. It's probably me and not knowing how to best set the tension but I've tried several times and just haven't had luck with transparent thread.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 260
Claudia replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:28 AM

Maryann, I going to be bold and comment, I just join the group last night. Really loving the post and photos!  I just finished a quilt and we used a poly batting which worked very nice. As for your backing not sure what size your quilt top is but I like the extra wide muslin. Joanna's has a nice variety and with a coupon it's not bad. I've never had any luck with the transparent thread myself but if you decide it use it let us know how it turns out?? Also, would love to see pictures.

Claudia from Kiowa, Colorado 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,703 Posts
Points 179,728
Answered (Not Verified) Marie replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:38 AM
Suggested by Claudia

Welcome, Mariann and Claudia, nice to have you join us, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 260
Claudia replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:18 AM

Thank you

Claudia from Kiowa, Colorado 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:57 AM

Welcome Marianne and Claudia...I've never had any luck with transparent thread either.  Myself, I would just use a neutral color...either an ivory or light gray if the majority of fabrics are light, or a darker gray if the fabrics leans towards the dark side.  Wish I could be of more help.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
397 Posts
Points 5,305

Welcome, Maryann

It's nice to see another quilter from Colorado.  I'm in Morrison.  Look forward to seeing your projects!

Barbara

Top 200 Contributor
Female
397 Posts
Points 5,305

Welcome! Claudia

Barbara

Top 200 Contributor
Female
397 Posts
Points 5,305

Mariann

Obviously, I can't spell - even when looking at your name - I apologize.

Since your quilt is made from polyester, I would recommend a polyester based batt.  They will shrink closer to the same ratio than a cotton batt.  I will join the opinion that transparent thread is finicky.  My longarm machine does not like it but once I get the tension right on my sewing machine, I don't usually have too much trouble.  However, a polyester thread in a neutral color will probably work better for you if this is your first quilting project

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,543 Posts
Points 416,999
gini replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:35 AM

Mariann and Claudia, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,543 Posts
Points 416,999
gini replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:35 AM

Mariann and Claudia, welcome to the grou.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,500 Posts
Points 48,290
Angele replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 7:34 AM

Mariann and Claudia, welcome to QCA. It is a great place to get info and suggestions.

Mariann like many others I would say a neutral color, grey or beige. If you feel that it is already heavy, how about putting an older flannel sheet as batting? There won't be much bulk or added heaviness with it.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 9:52 AM

Hello Mariann

Welcome to QCA!

I don't think I'd ever use transparent thread.  I like the quilting stitching so much that I wouldn't want to hide it with transparency. I do like to pick something that compliments fabrics and pattern.

Without photos it's hard to say what would be the best color to compliment the piece.  Also the quilting pattern makes a big difference I think.  If you're going to do an overall quilting stitch or something that just outlines the pieces would make a big difference in the chosen thread.

Happy stitching, and please share photos if you have a chance!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

When I quilt a multi colored quilt, I use colorful variegated thread. I use mostly King Tut. That way the quilting blends, but also adds definition. But this is for an edge to edge meander.  I agree it depends on the quilting pattern you use. My machine doesn't like the transparent either. 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 9:51 PM

Welcome Marianne and Claudia.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use