New Girl on the Block

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 160
Lynda Posted: Sat, Oct 12 2013 8:58 AM

Hello All!  I'm super new to the quilting bug, so new I don't even have any quilter supplies yet.  I'm open to hearing your recommendations on basic tools to getting started.  

My co-worker and friend and now quilting mentor gave me the bug and she has been a wonderful source of information and helping to make recommendations what I should look for in a sewing machine, lending me magazines to look over.  

I look forward to starting my first project!  And to sharing my finished project!

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:58 AM

Welcome Lynda.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 295
Points 3,910

Welcome, Lynda

This is a great place to get information, suggestions, help and support.  Look forward to seeing your first project

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 3:54 PM

Welcome Lynda.

If you click on QNNTV on this site, they offer free videos and instructions.  At the very bottom of  their site is a list under Start Quilting with learn how to make a quilt and other titles.

The internet is a great place to find friends, blocks, quilts and instruction.

Good Luck.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:27 PM

Hi Lynda, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,395
Susan replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 8:49 PM

Welcome, Lynda ! You have come to the right place as the folks here are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge. You will need a cutting mat they come in different sizes, a 24x36,is what I use a lot, a 6x24 ruler is a good one to start with and a few sizes in between.. Good 8" fabric cutting scissors , small thread  scissors, measuring tape a 120" is good and cotton thread and polyester, too.I like aurafill cotton thread and gutermann polyester. A good rotary cutter and blades, whichever you feel comfortable with is the best one to buy. Marking pencil, small rulers for making triangles is good. Good iron and ironing board, spray starch, Quilting pins, hand sewing needles,machine needles 12/80 14/90. Depending on the machine you get,  a walking foot for sewing through layers of fabric is very helpful. Also, try out your machine if you can and spend as much as you can afford. If you buy from a dealer see if they service it ,too. If you buy from a store such as Walmart  you cannot return it after so many days and have no services. There is so much more but this is a start and if you truly become an" quiltahoilic" like all of us, you will get more. And 100% cotton fabric, buy the best quality fabric you can as it makes a difference. Im sure I have not mentioned every thing but I hope this helps. Enjoy your new hobby!!!     Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:18 PM

I agree with everything Susan recommended.  If you are only buying one ruler, get a good one.  Creative Grids is an excellent brand.  It's mostly clear so easy to read and it has small grippers built in so your fabric won't slip.  Steer away from the Omnigrid rulers sold at Joann's.  Their colored stripes make it difficult to see the edge of your fabric as you line it up underneath.

I find my 8 x 24 ruler more versatile than my 6 x 24.  Because it's so big, I like to use the Gypsy Gripper with it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Lynda. I agree with what everyone else said. You will love it here. If you are anything like me though you will need a good seem ripper. You can also get quite a bit of information on you tube. Just type in what you want to know and many tutorials will come up for you to pick from.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,392
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 14 2013 1:40 AM

Welcome Lynda.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,452
Points 47,765
Angele replied on Mon, Oct 14 2013 7:36 AM

Lynda, welcome to the group. You've picked a great place to get information, support and suggestions whenever you need it. I hope you will enjoy the process.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 10:50 PM

hi, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,395
Susan replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:30 AM

Melissa Halpain:
you will need a good seem ripper
     Melissa, How could I forget "a seam ripper" my most used notion, when i first started quilting especially, and now, too.       Susan

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use