Top 10 Posters

Ironing Seams

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,845
Jenia posted on Thu, Oct 10 2013 1:24 PM

I've been piecing two separate quilts now for a few weeks.  One has instructions as I am following a pattern, the other is my own idea so no instructions, just what's in my head.

The instructions say...iron your seams in this direction or that...before piecing the rows together.

I seem to be doing just fine without taking the extra step to iron the seams.

I'm curious if this is really done in the practical world? 

I can see how it would help to keep things neat on the backside, but is it really absolutely necessary?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070
Suggested by Elizabeth

Oh yes!  Pressing seams is very important!  Sometimes you want them pressed a certain way so they can nest, ie a 4 patch.  Pressing also ensures that your blocks are square and aligned

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

Just my 2 cents. Ironing is imperative to piecing correctly. When the seams are flat, the next piece goes on so smoothly and flat. Pressing is also very, very important to squaring up your blocks and quilts. I also like to press seams to the dark fabric along with the nesting issue as previously posted.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,461 Posts
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:37 PM

I don't always press my seam with an iron. If I'm making four-patch blocks, or something simple, I can get by with finger pressing or using a wooden iron when I can find it.

I press when precision really counts or if I have lots of bulk.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 12,635

I always press the seams but sometimes I press them open rather than in the direction recommended in the pattern. I like the way the seam lies flat with it pressed open. It makes the pieces truer to size for me.  I read once that pressing the seam to one direction is good if you're going to stitch in the ditch.

Top 500 Contributor
102 Posts
Points 1,520

If you try to stitch in the ditch on seams that are pressed open, you are only stitching through thread, not fabric...not a good plan...

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 11:05 PM

sometimes i iron and sometimes i don't.   if your piecing is precise it doesn't matter. fussing with which way the seam is laying is too much for me to bother with most of the time, occasionally i pay attention.   so far no one has complained about my lack of seam pressing, and it doesn't seem to bother judges cause  i 've gotten blue ribbons.   a lot of times i will iron a seam one direction and then need it to go the other way when i am putting block together.   then i need to repress the awkward seam.   mostly i don't worry about it. i iron half square triangles, to keep them from closing when i am piecing. log cabins,  i iron when they are finished. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,466 Posts
Points 116,680

gini:
sometimes i iron and sometimes i don't.   if your piecing is precise it doesn't matter. fussing with which way the seam is laying is too much for me to bother with most of the time, occasionally i pay attention

Gini, I am so glad to hear that. I try to be careful with seams and directions but often I just wing it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,187 Posts
Points 15,895

I used a long armer once to quilt for me, and he would not quilt it if all the seams were not pressed. I prefer to press most of the time. Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,275 Posts
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 10:20 AM

I press and am able to re-press seams so they'll go in opposite directions when making a single block but if the block is part of a larger block I'm not able to do that.  What do you do in that case?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:13 PM

marie, if your seam allowances show through, i think they  look better all the same way, but if you can't see the seam allowance, i have half of it going one way and half the other.  you're the only one who will know. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,275 Posts
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 7:41 AM

gini:

marie, if your seam allowances show through, i think they  look better all the same way, but if you can't see the seam allowance, i have half of it going one way and half the other.  you're the only one who will know. 

Gini, thanks for letting me off the hook with the quilt police as that's exactly what I have ended up doing.  I press so the seam going in opposite directions is nice and flat.  It gets to be a problem when stitching in the ditch though.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 1:25 PM

Marie:
It gets to be a problem when stitching in the ditch though.

marie, that's easy, i never stitch  in the ditch

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 1:26 PM

Marie:
It gets to be a problem when stitching in the ditch though.

marie, that's easy i stitch over the ditch, i never  in it

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,473 Posts
Points 24,140

I am pretty fanatical about pressing my seams. I think the finished product comes out better for me. But it's whatever works for you.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use