Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 383
Points 8,485
didash Posted: Thu, Oct 10 2013 11:43 AM

Has anyone used Essential Quilting Thread (sold by Connecting Threads and others)??? Comments??

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

I have used a lot of the Essentials and have quite a stash of it. I like it, but it is very linty! I have to vacuum my machine a lot to keep it going. I also switched to Isacord poly for quilting because all the cottons I tried would break during quilting. Leah Day recommends the Isacord and says the cotton can't hold up to the heat of quilting. I know many of the people here use cotton for quilting and don't have any problems. I had lots of problems and the poly thread took care of them. I still use the Essentials, but like I said I just have to vacuum a lot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,932
Points 125,210

didash:

Has anyone used Essential Quilting Thread (sold by Connecting Threads and others)??? Comments??

Yes, I have an entire shoebox full as I bought about 34 spools of the size 50/1200 yard in a bunch of neutral colors. I think it was on sale or I got the QCA discount. Can't remember now, been a couple years. It isn't real smooth, leaves lots of dust and doesn't pull easily through my machine needle.

It is less expensive than other thread so that's something to consider but I do have a bit of trouble with it even when I use the #14 quilting needle in my machine. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,702
Points 179,708
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:11 PM

I also have a large stash of Essentials and have no problems with it except it is very linty like Pat said.  I also agree, for quilting Isacord poly is a better choice.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,932
Points 125,210

Judy T-Bellingham:
Yes, I have an entire shoebox full as I bought about 34 spools of the size 50/1200 yard in a bunch of neutral colors.

I forgot to add that I no longer use it and the shoebox full sits on my shelf. I really don't like the thread. Or perhaps it's my Viking that doesn't like it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,702
Points 179,708
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:23 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I forgot to add that I no longer use it and the shoebox full sits on my shelf. I really don't like the thread. Or perhaps it's my Viking that doesn't like it.

Judy, could I buy it from you, my Janome likes it because I clean it often so I don't mind the lint.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:26 PM

I use the Essential thread for piecing a lot, but haven't had a lot of luck using it for quilting.  It does work OK on my embroidery machine and the price is right and there are a lot of great colors, but I'll probably not be buying anymore.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 383
Points 8,485
didash replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:55 PM

Thanks for the comments, Ladies!  Judy, I'm so glad you mentioned that your Viking didn't seem to like it...I just acquired a Viking Mega Quilter that is practically brand new - packaged with a Gracie (queen size)  frame for a GREAT price!  I'm noticing that the cotton thread I just used with it for piecing  seemed a bit more difficult to pull through the needle...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:32 PM

Didash, I have a Viking MegaQuilter on a Grace Frame and I have found that Signature 40 weight cotton thread works best for me.  The Essentials broke all the time, the King Tut I tried broke, too.  I haven't tried the Isocord Polyester yet because I like using 100% cotton, but I might try it in the future.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:46 PM

I like Essentials thread for everyday piecing. Lots of lint but I clean my machine at each bobbin change. I have two Pfaffs, a Babylock and a Featherweight no problems on any of them. I've used the Essentials polyester for quilting. Not bad.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 909
Points 17,205

I haven't tried Essentials, but I use a whole lot of King Tut on my longarm. I haven't had any trouble with it breaking as long as I remember to check the upper and lower tensions with each thread change. I also use Omni and Permacore. I've ordered some So Fine to try on my MQ9 quilt but it hasn't arrived yet.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,370
Michelle replied on Fri, Oct 11 2013 7:42 AM

Carol, 

I use Aurifill thread on my featherweight and it loves it! I can sew for days and very little lint anywhere. My husband cleans my machines for me and can't believe the difference. The stitches are also more even and smooth with it. I started using it on my long arm to see how it liked it. I was using Signature and King Tut before. My long arm ( HQ18) loves the Aurifill also. No lint, great stitches and even tension. The only hard part is finding it in stores. I love the variegated for my long arm and its hard to find. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Fri, Oct 11 2013 3:59 PM

Michelle:
 I use Aurifill thread

Me too Michelle.  Do you know about www.pumpkinvinecorner.com?  Great prices on Aurifil threads.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,370
Michelle replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:01 AM

Mimi, found the site. They have great prices on the Aurifill and have the variegated that I like for my long arm. Thanks! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use