Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 10:13 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I like the third option better. I am making this quilt for myself as a slightly bigger lap quilt. Thank you so much for helping me figure this out. Is there a formula to use when quilter are calculating yardage?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 10:40 PM

yes and no.   you still have to know where to start and where to plug in the numbers. it's pretty easy once you've done a few.   you have to think in strips.   now that you've chosen the option with your strips all the same size,   it is fairly straight forward. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:08 PM

Thank you, Marie! I love this panel too. I also used to read Archie comics as a kid. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:13 PM

ok, here we go.   without borders, your quilt will be 44 x 70.    the strips go completely around your quilt, and they are 4 inches wide.  

now i'm going to confuse you a little bit.   i hate figuring this part and sometimes i just throw in an extra few inches so  i don't need to figure in the seam allowances.   when you make your seam  you will lose 1/2 inch for each seam.  ( your seams should be an exact scant 1/4 inch.  we can tell you how to do that later, if you haven't done this before. )  that brings you to a 4 1/2 inch strip.  you lose  1/4 inch on the body of the quilt and on the border.    you also need to figure in 1/4 inch on the outside of your border.  this brings you to a 4 3/4 inch strip.   i round that up to 5 inches to make it easy. 

now we know that you'll need to cut 5 inch strips.  

it will help you visualize this if you draw a rectangle and draw in your sides as we go along.  

your center is 44 x 70.  you will need two strips 70 x 5 inches, one for each side.   so draw those two borders on the sides.  

once you have sewn those two strips on,  your width is now the full width at  52 inches.    you will now need two strips 52 x 5 inches.  these will go on the top and bottom.

are you still with me.  if you have drawn a small quilt and added the borders it should be more clear to you.  

we now have four strips, two are 70 inches and two are 52 inches long.  you add these lengths.  70 + 70+ 52+52=   244.

244 is the total length of  5 " strips you will need.

now shift gears and picture a cut of fabric the way it comes sold to you.   it is folded in half,  the cut edges are on the ends and the two selvidge edges ( these are the edges woven more tightly)  are on the bottom.  this leaves a fold on the top.  when you unfold the fabric it will measure 40 to 45 inches depending on the manufacturer, we'll use 42 as the most common measurement.  cut the fabric with it folded.  

each 5 inch cut off the end of the fabric will give you a 42 x 5 inch strip.   you need 244 x 5.   if you divide the 244 by the 42 you can see how many strips you will need.   42 goes into 244 a little over 5.8 times.  round 5.8 up to 6.     this is how many strips you will need. we round it up to six strips because it is hard to cut a partial strip. 

almost there, are your eyes crossed yet?  :  )   you will need 6 strips and those strips are 5 inches wide.  6 x 5 = 30   you will need 30 inches of fabric.  i would round that up to 36 inches, one yard, because you are new to quilting and might need another strip.  :  )  

actually, it isn't because you are a beginner,  we all do this because we all make mistakes and there is nothing worse than picking a fabric, miscutting it and having to go back for more and finding they are all out of it.  

so, you can uncross your eyes now,  it isn't that hard,  you will do just fine.  

hello, is anyone else out there?  would someone  check my numbers to see if i got them right. 

i only went through these once, i could have made a mistake.  but you see how the process works.  and there are pocket sized books out there to do the figuring, but it helps to know how it is done.  anyone in a quilt shop should be able to quickly figure this out for you, too.  they do it all day long. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:26 PM

latasha,  i usually draw a picture, myself, of the rectangle,  i'm visual and it helps me with my figuring.   i went over the numbers again and i think they are right, pretty sure, but don't hold my feet to the fire over it.  

now that you see how it is done.  you can make those strips wider or narrower by adjusting the numbers i plugged in.  and i confess, i lied, being the anal person i am,  i would probably buy a yard and a half of fabric, i can't tell you how many times i have miscut fabric.  

if you have any questions or are unclear about something,  please ask, that's why we are here.    good luck and we want to see pictures when you are finished. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Gini, you are too funny! Lying to poor Latasha, what will she think of us quilters? LOL! You gave very clear instructions, you should have been a teacher. Latasha, I am sure that your quilt will turn out great. It is difficult to remember to ask yourself all the right questions and Gini has done that part for you. Please be sure to post a picture of your finished quilt, we all love pictures. I will admit that I would be with Gini and buy 1.5 yards because my ruler has been known to slip and I have gone back for more fabric and they didn't have it. The great thing is that eventually you will have enough of those leftovers to make a scrappy quilt, so if money is no object then spurge on a little extra.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Mon, Oct 7 2013 5:22 PM

thank you pat, i was a dental hygienist in a previous life.   the most important part of my job was educating patients, learning how to break down difficult ideas or tasks to the simplest parts and building back up, so a first grader could understand the concepts. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 2:01 AM

Gini, Thank you so much for helping me out. You are the best! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 2:04 AM

You're very welcome, latasha.

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use