rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha Posted: Sat, Oct 5 2013 11:33 PM

Hello Everyone! 

I want to make a quilt using panels that is 23.5"x 44", but I do not know how many panels I need to make a twin quilt. Also, how can I figure out how much fabric I will need to buy to add stashing, a boarder, and binding?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 11:41 PM

Hi latasha, how big is the twin quilt you want to make and which numbers are the length and width of your panels?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:13 AM

Hi Gini! 

The size of the quilt I want to make is about 60"x72". I just realize that is not a twin size quilt. Sorry about that. The panel is 23.5" length by 44" width.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 3:08 AM

You. Only have room for one panel wide.  Now you need to decide if you want two or three panels long.  If you use 3 panels, it will be 70 inches before you add sashes.   And then you need to decide if you are doing plain or pieced sashes.   Can you post a picture of your panels.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 3:37 AM

Since this is going to be my first quilt, I better stick with only one panel wide width. I plan on only doing plain sashes. Here is a picture of the panel I would like to use. 

Archie Comics Panel The Gang Multi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,023
Points 169,533
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 10:16 AM

Latasha, welcome!  I love your panel, I read these comic books when I was a kid.  Wish I hadn't tossed them.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:51 AM

If you make your quilt two panels long, you will be close to needing the same amount of fabric on all four sides.  That was a terrible sentence.  Let me go back and do the math.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 513
Points 10,435

gini:

If you make your quilt two panels long, you will be close to needing the same amount of fabric on all four sides.  That was a terrible sentence.  Let me go back and do the math.

Gini, since you're doing the figuring, I'll let you continue with the hard stuff!  I found the panel online at fabric.com. The panel is six of the blocks across, repeating what Latasha shows in the photo.  Maybe the panel could be cut in half and attached with 3 squares across and 6 down?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:05 PM

I've rounded the 23.5 to 24.   You want your quilt 60 inches wide and your panel is 44 inches wide.   You will need 16 inches to make your quilt the right width.  That will be 8 inches on each side.

if you use two panels, that will make up 48 inches, but you want your quilt 72 inches long.  You will need to add 24 inches to the length.   Or 12 inches to the top and 12 inches to the bottom.  

What you are adding are called the borders.  Sashes go between blocks.   You can separate the two panels with a sash as wide as you want.   That will make your borders different dimensions.   Are we still on the same page?   I think your quilt will look better with two panels.  That way there isn't so much negative space that it detracts from the panels.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:57 PM

carol, i think two panels will look better unless latasha wants to piece some blocks around the panels.    sorry we're talking over you latasha.  carol has a good idea.   you could cut the panel in two pieces and add the one piece to the top of the other making a long skinny panel.  

let us know where you are headed.  and we'll help with the math. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 3:24 PM

Ladies, please forgive me for my misuse of quilting terms.  Due to my lack of imagination and math skills, I am having so difficulty trying to picture the design with only two panels. Are we talking about the one panel cut in half or two whole panels? You are right about the negative space been detractive. I did not even think of that. Since this is my first quilt, should I make it 50"x60" instead? 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 455
Latasha replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 3:24 PM

Ladies, please forgive me for my misuse of quilting terms.  Due to my lack of imagination and math skills, I am having so difficulty trying to picture the design with only two panels. Are we talking about the one panel cut in half or two whole panels? You are right about the negative space been detractive. I did not even think of that. Since this is my first quilt, should I make it 50"x60" instead? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 4:39 PM

latasha, no problem,  and no need to forgive you.  we just need to use the right terms so we know what we're talking about.  i get confused enough the way it is.  

so, we've confused you now, already.  sorry.  we were discussing both  options.  i'll add yours:

1.   cutting the one panel in half  and sewing it back together,  one on top of the other,  will give you a lot of negative space to fill with borders.

2.   using two complete panels, one sewn to the top of the other will leave you with borders on both sides of 8 inches,  and top and bottom borders of 12 inches.  

3.  using three panels will give you  the same 8 inch borders on both sides but one inch on the top and bottom.  

now, i haven't gone back to figure out the 50 x 60 inch quilt.  one is not easier than the other, they are just different measurements.   so which size do you want?  

what is the quilt to be used for?   if it is a lap quilt, it doesn't matter, it just needs to fit the person.   if you have a tall man it might need to be a bit longer.  if this quilt is going on a bed, you need to determine if it a cover that needs to keep the person warm, in which case you need to cover the entire surface of the mattress plus an 8 inch drop on three sides.  if it is just to jazz up the bedroom and only needs to lay on top of the bedcover that can be pulled up for a bit of extra warmth it only needs to cover the mattress.   i know, too much to think about,  but it really does help to know what you quilt is going to be used for. 

a lap quilt that you can cuddle up under in front of the t.v., doesn't need to be  big.   is this for a child or an adult?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 4:42 PM

by the way, welcome to the group.  this is a fun group of quilters, i hope you join in on the chit chat that goes on.  we have a lot of groups to choose from.   there is so much good information here and if you can't find something or have a question feel free to ask, you'll get lots of help. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 4:48 PM

you know, i like borders to balance, be the same on all four sides.   if we took your option #3   decreased the side borders to 4 inches and increased the top and bottom borders to 4 inches,   your quilt would be 52 x 78  would these measurements work for you?  it would be a full 2 feet longer than it is wide.   

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use