Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Sun, Mar 7 2010 12:53 PM

I'm machine quilting my first quilt of any size and have a few questions. First of all when I do a grid do I need to stitch opposite directions on each pass? I am having the most trouble cramming the right side through the opening because my machine isn't really all that big. Do you roll it? Bunch it? Fold it? Pin it? So far I have not been going opposite directions but the quilt lines are far apart and I'm going to go again in between so I can make sure to do that. I've been doing it so that the bulk is on the left. There's no way I could do anything bigger than a lap quilt unless I do it in sections.

Also, what about the part in your lap? How do you deal with that?? Roll it? Under? Over? Or just bunch it?

I read in a book that the chalk liners (like the clover pens) should only be used in white. Has anyone had a problem with a colored chalk liner? I just ordered a yellow to use where white doesn't show up but I don't want to end up with yellow lines.

Do you use grippy gloves? I tried and they bugged my hands but if I *should* be using them I can make myself get used to them. I also have those disc shaped grippers but I have a hard time keeping ahold of them so I quit using them.

Any other tips? Please post them. I need all I can get!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Gale--

Have your thought of painter's tape for marking your grids?  That worked great for me on my last project.  Also, going in opposite directions is a good idea especially on a large quilt with lots of grid lines.  As for dealing with the excess fabric, I've tried all the methods you mentioned and usually end up using a combination of them as the quilt progresses.  Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:08 PM

I did try painter's tape but it doesn't stay sticky for very long. As my quilt bent and folded the tape came off in those spots-even after I pressed down a lot.

Also do you mark 1/4" from your seam line? I marked right on the line and then was paranoid I would stitch through the tape.

I'll do the other lines in opposite directions. I was hoping I could keep the biggest bulk of the quilt on the left but I guess I better practice my rolling and cramming. lol

thanks!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:09 PM

Gale

Painter's tape...the blue kind... works great for marking any kind of straight line.  As with anything you sew going in opposite directions is best if you can find a way to get the bulk through your machine.  As for the gloves or the grips it is personal preference.  If you can get a secure foundation to move your fabric without them then by all means do what is comfortable for you.  I also used the roll, fold, fluff, and stuff...whatever worked with the quilt is was quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale, I really don't worry about going in an opposite direction with every other line. I stitch one half, then the next. I start in the middle since that puts the most on the bed of your machine and it gets easier as you work to the corner. I do use the gloves with the gripper tips. When I first started, I used those medical gloves, but I'm allergic to the latex or the powder inside or something; at any rate, when I'd take them off, my hands would drip water! I found some fairly cheap quilting gloves that were breathable and they work fine. I also use the the disc-shaped grippers and thought they were a royal pain.

If you're stitching in the ditch, you shouldn't need to mark it with tape; just go really slow. When I use the tape, sometimes I stitch a little on the edge of the tape, but it doesn't hurt anything.

One thing you might consider is buying a walking foot. (I think I remember you saying you didn't have one.) They're really not that expensive and they make all the difference in the world. Of course you don't use them for free-motion quilting, but I use mine even when I'm machine-stitching the binding down.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:00 AM

Thanks Judy. I do have a walking foot but I am trying to find one with a ditch guide. Actually I found them but only sold in the UK or Canada. I am in contact with a store in Canada to try to get it. It's a convertible walking foot with an open and an regular foot part. My current walking foot is a brother being used on a Janome machine. I lost the guide for it so I have this guide that snaps onto the back of it and it works but it's a bit wonky when trying to manipulate the quilt. My elbow has been hurting so I've been doing just a little bit at a time-like 3 or 4 trips across and quit for a few hours.

I think I will stop with the opposite direction. It is such a chore mashing that quilt through the arm. If I ever do a bigger one I'm doing it in sections.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Gale:
I think I will stop with the opposite direction.

Gale, I agree with Judy. In my experience, if you are using a walking foot, you really don't need to go in the opposite direction. I hope your elbow feels better soon.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale:
My current walking foot is a brother being used on a Janome machine.

Gale, I don't know what Janome you have, but I have the 6600P. They make an accufeed foot with the blade for stitching in the ditch. I bought one and really like it. Check here

AccufeedFoot

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:38 PM

I have an older machine-an MC3500. I don't think it takes the accufeed food. :( I still haven't heard back from the store in Canada yet.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale, Brubakers is one of the largest Janome dealers in the US. You might go to the page I listed, look for the phone number, and call them. I think if there's a foot to be had for your machine, they'll know about it. Also, I don't know if you have a long or short shaft for your machine. If it's a short shaft, I have a walking foot I would send to you to you. I had it for my Babylock. When I bought the Janome, I didn't need it any more. I would think you'd be able to use a generic foot, but you need to check with a dealer first. Give Brubakers a call. I think it's a toll free number. In fact, here's the number

1-800-466-7315

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Hey Judy Thanks for the link to Brubakers.  I have the same machine as you do and had heard about the SID foot but didn't know where to get one.  Do you think the would have extra spool holders too?  I recnetly bought an inexpensive Janome serger from Hancocks that isn't even listed on the Janome USA website and would like some spool holders for it so I can use some of my smaller spools of thread.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 10:10 AM

I don't recommend using a yellow pencil on a quilt - the marks often stay.  If I need to mark a quilt I use Mark Be Gone wash out markers which you can buy at Wal Mart.  If there are none in stock it is because I have been to the States and bought them all:-)

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Hey Judy Thanks for the link to Brubakers.  I have the same machine as you do and had heard about the SID foot but didn't know where to get one.  Do you think the would have extra spool holders too?  I recnetly bought an inexpensive Janome serger from Hancocks that isn't even listed on the Janome USA website and would like some spool holders for it so I can use some of my smaller spools of thread.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to call and ask them. If they don't have it, they can probably get it.

One more thing: are you a member of the Yahoo group for Janome 6500/6600? If you are, you get a 10% discount at Brubakers. They are quite the chatty bunch, and I tend to dump more messages than I read, but there's lots of information from that group. If you want the link to the group, let me know.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Judy Iliff:

One more thing: are you a member of the Yahoo group for Janome 6500/6600? If you are, you get a 10% discount at Brubakers. They are quite the chatty bunch, and I tend to dump more messages than I read, but there's lots of information from that group. If you want the link to the group, let me know.

Now remember I am the one that my DH calls "computer illiterate"  I have never heard of Yahoo groups.  I would love to be educated and have that link.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Marge, click on the link below and then just follow the instructions and join - or wait for your DH to get home and have him walk you through it. :-)

JanomeYahooGroup

Gillette, WY

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use