rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 255
Cindy Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:18 PM

Hi,

I am writing to tell you a little more about myself but just hit the wrong button and sent a blank sheet.  Sorry!

I taught myself to sew on a trundle sewing machine when I was in high school (we won't say what year that was)  and that was after I had been "making my own doll clothes from age 8 up.  (Nothing great, just someting to fit my dolls. )

I have always loved hobbies and they always filled any sparetime that I might have had in raising two daughters and supporting a husband who served 36 years active duty in the Navy.  I mostly sewed clothed and home decorations until the last 7-8 years.  At that time I learned how to quilt on the machine thanks to a neighbor.  I had quilted a couple pillows prior to that by hand but not done anything big.  Now, I love to quilt. I have found that I can use my creative side with quitling as well as cross-stitch (and grafting my own cross-stitich patterns.)  In fact, quilting is so much easier on the "ole eyes and hands" .  :-)

Lately I have been making my 2 grandson's their one year bithday quilt.  ( this all started when I made the first grandson a quilt on his first birthady.)  So, I am ready to star a new project and had better get my material picked out for the mystery quilt and see if I can follow along with you others who will be doing it.  I have never done anything like this and it is very exciting for me.

Have a great day or night whichever it is.

Cindy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:21 PM

Cindy, thanks for sharing more about yourself :-)  You're in good company here - lots of people make quilts for family members and there are plenty of other people who share some of your other characteristics :-)

Glad you're jumping right in to the Mystery Quilt! I've never done one either and I think there are some other new-to-MQers as well, so it should be fun.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I wonder how many of us learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine. That's how I learned, too. :-)

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Not on a treadle but on an old Singer featherweight.  My Mom traded that in on a Singer slant-o-matic.  Oh what I wouldn't give to have that featherweight now!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 5:38 PM

Cindy

Thanks for telling us a little about yourself  We love hearing about how we all got started quilting and sewing.  I too make quilts for all my kids and grandkids as well as other friends.  I am working toward getting a quilt ministry started at my church...there are so many needy people.

I don't remember what kind of sewing machine I learned to sew on but I do know it wasn't a treadle.  I would love to have one of the old treadle machines though...I think they are so pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,512
Thea replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 5:57 PM

Cindy, Thank you so much for sharing your story.  It is wonderful satisfying to me to read how others got their start.  I think your story is like a lot of others - we are all close and that is so nice. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541

Cindy, thanks for sharing.  I've never used a treadle machine.  My grandmother had one, but I was never interested in sewing until I got older.  By then she was gone and my cousin had the treadle.

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 4,969
Bonnie replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 3:23 PM

Cindy - Thank you for sharing your story.  I am glad to hear that you are going to jump on the band wagon and do the MQ with us.  I jumped in on the last one and really enjoyed it.  I will one day learn how to download pics.  These are some awesome ladies to be quilting with, so enjoy and happy quilting.

Bonnie, NorCal

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.