Sewing off of a spider

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 1,010
Patty Schleicher posted on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:23 AM

So I was watching this Fons and Porter show the other day and they suggested that a person "sew off of a spider"? I had never heard of that. Looks like it is a piece of fabric that you sew on to. What is the benefit of this? Just not sure the purpose of this. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks

Patty Schleicher/HD Lady

MN

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 1,010

Thank you for the explanation. That really helps. Guess I will be trying this on my next quilt.

Patty S.

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
789 Posts
Points 12,705

A spider is a scrap of fabric that you put down to start sewing and then chain stitch onto the fabric you are sewing for your project. 

Often, when starting, there is some thread "nesting."  The tail of the spool and bobbin thread wraps and curls around the first couple of stitches.  Starting with a spider lets that "nesting" occur on the spider.  The chain stitch transition to the main fabric leaves a clean start on the main fabric.

After using the scrap cloth many times for starting, those tails of thread dangling off of it make it look like a spider web. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Patty, another benefit of using a "spider" or  "leaders/enders" is that you eliminate all the loose and wasted threads in your sewing room that are otherwise cut from the beginning and end of each row of stitches.  ...Actually, you save a fair amount of thread by using a spider (or leaders/enders). 

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:51 AM

Donna

I wish I could get in the habit of using leaders and enders like Bonnie Hunter does.   Then you can use the leaders and enders to make an other quilt.   But I never think about it when I am sewing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:51 AM

Donna

I wish I could get in the habit of using leaders and enders like Bonnie Hunter does.   Then you can use the leaders and enders to make an other quilt.   But I never think about it when I am sewing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,736 Posts
Points 30,145

I use them all the time to save on thread but I hope that when the postage stamp swap is complete to use those as my spiders and make a quilt!  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

Is this the same thing as a thread bunny? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Nana:

Donna

Nana, LOL...me too!  I use a thread spider aka thread bunny all the time, but I am not organized enough to do the leaders and enders. Actually, I have been thinking about that as a goal - get organized and just have a basket of 2.5 inchers to sew together by the machine all the time.  I have to do something with this mess...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Michelle:

Is this the same thing as a thread bunny? 

Yep!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,280 Posts
Points 173,403
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:50 AM

Nana:
Then you can use the leaders and enders to make an other quilt.   But I never think about it when I am sewing.

Nana, how does she use them in another quilt?  I use L&Eers but they are a mess, wouldn't want a quilt made with those pieces.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,261 Posts
Points 28,525
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:12 PM

My leaders and enders are pieces cut specifically for another project or another segment of the same project. I can just keep going, going, going and when I finish one I have a good beginning on the next. While I was stitching the borders to the embroidery panels I was also stitching flying geese units for the stars in the same quilt. No waste of thread or time that way.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 1,010

Thank you for the explanation. That really helps. Guess I will be trying this on my next quilt.

Patty S.

• | Post Points: 25
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use