Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Mon, Sep 30 2013 12:24 PM

I tend to toss bits of fabric. I'm making a queen size quilt for my son. I had barely enough of the background fabric with a few small scraps left over. Pushed them to the side of my cutting board instead of tossing into the scrap basket. Which is what I normally do with bits and pieces.

I cut out all the pieces. Sewed together 400 HST blocks, 100 6-1/2" strips, countless squares. At least I thought I'd done that many. When I double counted I was short on the HST and 6-1/2" strips.  And no more background fabric. Searched the internet. Nope, out of print. Called the quilt shops hoping they may have a fat quarter left. Nope. Doesn't exist. Not even on eBay.

I found a strip in my scrap box and together with the bits and pieces I was able tp piece together to make 4 more HST blocks and 2 more strips. It's not that noticeable. I hope.  I had hoped to use the background fabric in one of the narrow borders but will have to use something else. I have plenty of the other fabrics.

The background fabric is Floral Bouquets and Fancies by Sharon Yenter for In the Beginning fabrics. I'll try to contact her, just in case she has the fabric.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:57 PM

Judy

Your fabrics are very pretty.   I don't think anyone will notice the piecework on your fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Nana:

Judy

Your fabrics are very pretty.   I don't think anyone will notice the piecework on your fabric.

Thanks Nana. I just came from the quilt shop and found a lovely tone on tone fabric to replace the background fabric for the middle border. So, I'm happy.

See you in LESS than 2 weeks! Can you believe it??  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 3:13 PM

Judy,    I have an eighty year old quilt from a great great aunt and some of the small squares are pieced.  She used all those bits and pieces to produce a warm quilt for her family.   Someone once told me that scraps cost the same amount as yardage so waste not, want not

Diana in East TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Diana:
Someone once told me that scraps cost the same amount as yardage so waste not, want not

Good advice Diana and so true. I'm just not very good about following it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:12 PM

Judy

I tend to keep all my bigger scraps ...  about 2 in square or so.   Once I have all the scraps that I can possibly find a place to keep them then it is time to do a couple of scrappy quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 9:21 PM

I'm saving my scraps to do a hexagon quilt!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,233
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 9:41 PM

I save anything over 1-1/2". Nearly all my quilts are scrappys. With the cost of fabrics these days, I use every bit of it. I sew pieces together until I have enough to cut a 12" square. When I have 9-12 squares I make a quilt. I also sew strips together to use for borders or make coin quilts. I also take the sewn strips and cut squares, sash them and bingo you have a quilt. You can also use the stripped squares for coasters, table runners, pot holders, whatever else your imagination can come up with. Recently a friend on another site takes larger scraps and sews them together for backings. She said friends call them reversible quilts. I have other uses too but can't think of them at the moment. But this is a pretty good start. When I go to retreats, I set out a paper bag that says "Please place your scraps here, please."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 786
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 10:56 PM

Way to go, Linda!  All the gals in my quilting group check with me before they toss out a scrap - and we fill doggy pillows with the smallest little trimmings!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,233
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 8:33 PM

Carol:

Way to go, Linda!  All the gals in my quilting group check with me before they toss out a scrap - and we fill doggy pillows with the smallest little trimmings!

How do you make the doggy pillows? I have so much of small pieces of batting and trimmings and no one will take them. So I might as well make pillows.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:26 PM

Linda

Just decide how big you want your pillow.   Then sew your fabric together leaving one end open.   You can hang it with tape onto your sewing table and drop your little pieces into it.   Once it is full enough then sew the open end shut and your pet pillow is complete.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 10:34 PM

Linda:
How do you make the doggy pillows? I have so much of small pieces of batting and trimmings

I keep a bag by my cutting table and add all my small scraps and batting to it. When it is full I take 2 rectangles of fabric, for my cats i use fleece for the top and something ugly for the bottom. Put right side together, sew all around except for leaving an opening. Turn right side out, fill with scraps and sew closed. When they get too gross I just toss them and make a new one.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 715

Linda:
I save anything over 1-1/2".

I am our guild scrap keeper too!!!! I have been using them for 15 minutes of play 6 1/2" blocks (Victoria Findlay Wolfe). Couldn't see why until I had about 8 of them - - they are now on my design wall - begging for more - - - too fun to use bits and pieces and just sew, sew, sew.... the oddest colors seem to make sense together... and orphan HST's, flying geese, even bits of strips sewn together seem to work... who'd a thunk it???

'

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,233
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:15 PM

Gail Nelson:

Linda:
I save anything over 1-1/2".

I am our guild scrap keeper too!!!! I have been using them for 15 minutes of play 6 1/2" blocks (Victoria Findlay Wolfe). Couldn't see why until I had about 8 of them - - they are now on my design wall - begging for more - - - too fun to use bits and pieces and just sew, sew, sew.... the oddest colors seem to make sense together... and orphan HST's, flying geese, even bits of strips sewn together seem to work... who'd a thunk it???

'

Gail. You were surprised weren't you? I find that red or yellow, or orange borders work best                                                                                                                                                                                   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505

YOu can always join the Postage Stamp swap group!  There's still room for a few more participants and the cutting doesn't have to be done till January!  What better way to use up scraps!?

Southwest of San Antonio

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use