Top 10 Posters

Quilt Racks- Do you have one? Can I see and hear about it?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980
Marlabartlett60 Posted: Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:44 PM

My son does wood working, so I want him to make me a Quilt Rack. I want something different, just don't know what yet. I have looked on the Internet at different types. I want one with some charm and style, the fact he will make it will make it Oh so special, but he needs ideas. So I am asking all you Quilters? Do you have A Quilt Rack? Can I see pics?  Thanks to anyone who will share with me!  

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:29 PM

I don't have a quilt rack, but would love to see what he comes up with.  I would love to have one, but I don't really like the commercial ones I have seen.  I would like one that was really wide so that the quilts don't have to be folded so small to drape better.

My husband made me a quilt hanger so that I can hang full size quilts on the wall.  It's basically a wooden box mounted over a long, supported rod.  I can either drape them over the box, over the rod, or hang them from the rod with hooks.  I only use the hooks for the very lightest items and I don't leave them hanging on the hooks very long because the alligator clips have teeth.  I have put little pieces of fabric between the teeth and my quilts but I tend to drape them over the rod instead because of my fear of pinholes from the alligator teeth. ouch.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,420
Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:31 PM

I always like the quilt racks that look like a ladder, you can drape several quilts over the rungs and you can see a good chunk of each quilt. Search Google images for  "ladder quilt rack" , or just "quilt rack" to get an idea of all the kinds out there.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:57 PM

I've been holding on to this picture for a while.  I'll know I'm a real quilter when I have to ask DH to build this for me.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Wow, Mn. That is so freakin impressive!!! Now I want to see all those quits !,   Thank you for showing us!,  I have searched the Internet and looked at all kinds of racks. I'm afraid my wal is not that big. Plus I don't have that any quits!  Guess I better get busy, and stop giving all my favorites away!  Again WOW!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 12:44 AM

Wow, now that's a quilt rack.

already showed it to Jim, someday he can make me one too

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 3:06 AM

I just showed the picture to DH and he looked at our walls and wondered where we would hang it.  I told him we didn't need one quite that big. Love the idea, though.

Diana in East TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

WOW! Now that is a quilt rack. I'll throw out my couch if my son wants to make one of those for me, LOL! I have a small free standing one that I paid $5 for at a garage sale. I have it in my sewing room with things I'm working on hanging on it. When I pressed and starched all the strips for MQ9 I hung them on it. It isn't pretty, but it is handy.If I ever finish all my UFOs I could use one of these gian ones.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085
Michelle replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 7:26 AM

Good morning!!  Tried to post this yesterday but unable to connect while we are traveling. Found this quilt tech in an old antique store this week and took a pic for husband to maybe make. I like the concept of the tiered look. Haven't seen one like it before. Took a few pics but the lady wouldn't allow me to take the quilts off to get a better pic. Esp since I wasn't buying! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,955
Carmel replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 7:35 AM

Here is my quilt rack, an old antique ladder, I have this one in my dining room and I change

the quilts every few months.

Macungie, PA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:01 AM

Carmel, love the ladder for a rack and the great quilts!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:34 AM

MNnancy:

I've been holding on to this picture for a while.  I'll know I'm a real quilter when I have to ask DH to build this for me.  

Randy could whip this out in a flash!  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,460
Points 176,508
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:49 AM

Karla:

And probably with his own twist.  Looking at it all it is, is those wooden curtain rods done up into 4 rows.  What you could do is purchase as many rods as you need and in the size that would fit your wall and you'll have a very inexpensive quilt rack.  If you buy them unfinished you could stain, paint or varnish them any way you'd like and they would be less expensive.  Thanks for the picture, now I'll have to look around and see where I can hang one.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:54 AM

Karla:

And YOU would have enough quilts to hang on it!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 7:55 PM

MNnancy:

Karla:

And YOU would have enough quilts to hang on it!  

But I don't have a wall in my house that would be big enough to hang it.  I can't even find a wall big enough for a design wall, LOL.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use