Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:13 PM

Rotary cutter!  I can't imagine having to scissors-cut pieces as quilters did in the good old days.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:36 PM

I'm with you, Nancy.  I quit making clothes because I hated cutting out the patterns with scissors.  Scissor cutting for quilts like the MQ9 would be enough to give me carpal and make me quit quilting altogether.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 12:50 AM

I was working on a quilt top when this question popped in my head. I was thinking of my great-grandma and her sitting there quilting for not only her family but others as well without our little helpers of today. I was thankful for my mat and rotary cutter, the wonderful stiletto, and my light with magnifying glass. But if the one thing it would be mat and rotary cutter.......can you imagine cutting all those pieces by hand? Oh yes I did that my first quilt a tumbling block for queen bed.......I hand cut those 5 million pieces and even hand sewed them. Yes we can all see I'm crazy and need committed but only if they don't take my scissors and needles.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 12:50 AM

I was working on a quilt top when this question popped in my head. I was thinking of my great-grandma and her sitting there quilting for not only her family but others as well without our little helpers of today. I was thankful for my mat and rotary cutter, the wonderful stiletto, and my light with magnifying glass. But if the one thing it would be mat and rotary cutter.......can you imagine cutting all those pieces by hand? Oh yes I did that my first quilt a tumbling block for queen bed.......I hand cut those 5 million pieces and even hand sewed them. Yes we can all see I'm crazy and need committed but only if they don't take my scissors and needles.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:21 AM

I have 2 sewing machines and I couldn't live without either one of them. I'm frequently going from one machine to the other.   I have a 35+ year old Pfaff and a Elna Dream Pro Quilter. Love them both.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

The latest thing from Viking is the Diamond Royale. It almost does everything but cut out the fabric for you. Only $11,000! Not on my list of things to buy. But it is super nice. We had a Viking educator at the shop yesterday that demo'd that one to us. They also have a new Platinum 16, a sitdown quilting machine that doesn't take up much room. We didn't get that one in time for our open house. But I am seriously thinking about that one. It retails for ONLY $6000. I'm going to have to start saving my small change for that one. It has a 16" throat, and comes with a 42x36" table. I am drooling.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 7:42 AM

There are lots but top on my list  would be the rotary cutter and mat. The first quilt I made back in the 80s was a log cabin and I "ripped" all those pieces to avoid using the scissors on all those strips.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:27 AM

Elaine Phillips:
They also have a new Platinum 16, a sitdown quilting machine that doesn't take up much room. We didn't get that one in time for our open house. But I am seriously thinking about that one. It retails for ONLY $6000.

I've been drooling over this one, too!  DH says "no way do you need another sewing machine", but we'll see.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:53 AM

After some due consideration (and reading all your posts), I have to add my vote for the rotary cutter and mat.  I had "considered" quilting years ago, but rejected the idea with the template and scissors methods available at that time.  Instead I dabbled in ceramics, tole-painting, etc.  I doubt I would be quilting today if it weren't for the rotary cutter and mat!

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 12,675

I can't quilt without my television, cold drink, non-sticky but yummy snack a.k.a. M & M's and two closed doors.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 4:10 PM

Donna--My sentiments precicely except there is no way I would be a quilter if not for the rotary cutter.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 4:32 PM

For me, hand down, rotary cutter and mat. But, the MOST important thingthat is necessary  to me about quilting is my quilty friends. 

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 4:53 PM

Sukochi:
But, the MOST important thingthat is necessary  to me about quilting is my quilty friends.

I agree, quilty friends add alot to our lives.

Lately I can't hardly live without Google Images and all the wonderful quilting blogs, they inspire me and give me such wonderful ideas.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 8:53 PM

Jacy:
and all the wonderful quilting blogs, they inspire me and give me such wonderful ideas

Isn't that the truth!  I'm not even missing all the magazine subscriptions that I let expire.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:37 PM

Hmmm...I guess since rotary cutter and mat are already taken I'll have to say.... my Imagination. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use