Top 10 Posters

Civil War Bride Quilt (aka Bird of Paradise Quilt Top) - The Missing Man Contest

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez Posted: Tue, Sep 24 2013 7:45 AM

I'm enjoying being part of this group. I've had so much responses to my previous post on flammability of quilter's batting. I just came across this great contest about the Civil War Bride quilt. I love this quilt and hopefully will be my second quilt after I complete the Ladies of the Sea. Still waiting for my batting to arrive.

The story behind the quilt is that the applique of the groom was never sewn on the quilt even though the paper pattern was saved along with the quilt. The contest asks you to submit a 100 word response as to why the groom was never added.

The original quilt is housed at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC. Go to the following url to read the story about the quilt and the information on how to enter the contest. http://www.folkartmuseum.org/?t=images&id=1739.

If the link doesn't work or show up just Google "Civil War Bride Quilt American Folk Art Museum."

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 7:58 AM

very interesting quilt.   The longer I look at it, the more things I see.  Like off on the left, the riders appear to be on dogs, not horses.   And the emus or ostriches.  What's that all about?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:19 AM

I would say she is still looking for " Mr. Right"  lol.  

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:34 AM

A really interesting quilt.  My thought was that her intended died.  

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:14 AM

Nana:
My thought was that her intended died. 

That was my thought too, although I like Bev's idea better.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:18 AM

my opinion...the quilt maker is trying to tell you that it is a zoo out there.  that she has not added the groom as she has not found the one with whom she would choose to spend the rest of her life.  remember brdal quilts if made by the bride could have been part of her hope chest, to be completed after the wedding.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:42 AM

All the animals are represented in pairs. It's a sign of fertility. Enter the contest!

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:43 AM

That sounds good. Are you entering the contest?

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:46 AM

So this was my entry:

The Missing Groom
by Nora Chavez

Miss Minnie, crying clutched her wedding quilt.  “The groom isn’t sewn on until after the wedding,” she said “Because of the war.” But that ain’t the case here. A gust of air blew a piece of newspaper off the table and landed in her lap. She picked up the paper cut in the shape of a man and gently laid it on the quilt. “That’s a good sign,” I said. Two days later Miss Minnie and Col. Parker were married. Though it’s true that it weren’t his fault, Miss Minnie never sewn the groom on her wedding quilt. 
I based it on the true story of the wedding scandal of Miss Minnie Sackett and Col. Ely Parker!
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:48 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 3:10 PM

nchavez:

So this was my entry:

The Missing Groom
by Nora Chavez

I based it on the true story of the wedding scandal of Miss Minnie Sackett and Col. Ely Parker!

Nora, good luck with the contest.  I looked up the story which was very interesting.  

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 4:35 PM

Bev :

I would say she is still looking for " Mr. Right"  lol.  

I'm inclined to agree. She was hopeful. She made the quilt and prayed for a man. All the symbols of fertility reflect her desire to have children.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 5:06 PM

nchavez:

The original quilt is housed at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC. Go to the following url to read the story about the quilt and the information on how to enter the contest. http://www.folkartmuseum.org/?t=images&id=1739.

If the link doesn't work or show up just Google "Civil War Bride Quilt American Folk Art Museum."

What fun!  I was so excited to take a look because I love writing in addition to quilting.  However the link I found shows the contest was over in February 2011. Is there a new version of the contest?  Do you have the actual link to it?  I found the story and the photo, but when I googled for the contest I found a page where the deadline for entries was Feb. 2011.

Maybe we can just make up the stories here and just have fun with it?

I'll make it really controversial and say the lady was so forward thinking for her time that she didn't need a man and did just fine without him in her life. 

Perhaps she was wronged as a young woman and left at the alter, so she swore off men forever and showed her determination in her quilt. 

Perhaps the fertility symbols show that she had a baby out of wedlock and then ended up at the circus (see the elephant?) 

haha...the possibilities are endless and such fun.  Great stories could be made up for any of these scenarios and I can think of so many more!

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 5:23 PM

Well now I'm really confused! The top of the page has today's date so I assumed the contest was until February 14, 2014. I submitted an entry. Maybe they will email me back and ask if I can read.

Nora

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use