Top 10 Posters

Metallic thread

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
25 Posts
Points 620
redfish21 posted on Mon, Sep 23 2013 3:32 PM

I am having an awful time free motion stitching with metallic thread. I have changed the tension, the pivot height, putting the spool in different places and anything else I can think of and it is still breaking. It is quality thread (Sulky) so I know that is not the problem. I noticed it always happens when I am going backwards. I have tried going slower, faster, making sure I am moving the fabric as  gently as possible. What am I doing wrong?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 4:15 PM

Do you have a top-stitch needle, size 14/90. they have a bigger eye which will mean less stress on your thread as you sew.

Here's a link to Sulky's troubleshooting page too.

http://www.sulky.com/faqs/faq_001.php

hope that helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

redfish21:
I noticed it always happens when I am going backwards.

You didn't mention what brand of sewing machine you are using.  Some machines are not fond of fmq'g backwards, and yours may be one of them!  It may be manageable with your regular thread, but when you put the added stress of metallic thread into the mix...it just may be rebelling!  You might try going very, very slowly when you are quilting in the backward direction.  Hopefully, that will work.

As a last resort, you might need to turn your quilt to avoid going in the backward direction completely.   (Personally, I would rather not use metallic thread than make this choice...but it's your quilt.)

Good luck, and please let us know if you find out what works for you with your machine and metallic thread! 

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,726 Posts
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 5:17 PM

Metallic thread needs a bigger needle (as Jacy pointed it) it also needs to stay flat as it unwinds. Make sure it's not twisting anywhere (spool should be upright).

Make sure the spool doesn't twist back and forth as you change sewing direction. It should be a little snug on the spool pin. Add a felt pad or a straw if the spool has a hole that's much larger than your spool pin.

You also need to lower your top tension. Stitch slower than you do with other threads and make sure your bobbin thread isn't too heavy. 

You could also try a different brand of thread. Even though it's a good thread you machine might not like it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,726 Posts
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 5:18 PM

Also make sure you're using the right stabiliser.

Not Ranked
25 Posts
Points 620

Thanks everyone. I will try a few different things. I do have a 90 needle but a quilting so I will try the topstitch needle. I have a Husqvarna Topaz. It is very touchy. Will let you know what works.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 135

I have 2 Viking machines and the tension can get whacky if the bobbin area is full of lint. If that area is clean then the tension may need some adjustment or the machine needs calibration. I use metallic thread all the time and use the 90 topstitch needle and stitch slowly and I do not have a problem.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 7:54 AM

Although I have never tried FMQ with metallic threads I have done machine embroidery with them. I use a top stitch needle - not only does it have a larger eye but the grove that the thread rides in is more pronounced.  I also use a thread net on it.

Another great resource is a Threads Magazine article

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3752/sewing-machine-needles-an-overview/page/all

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Not Ranked
25 Posts
Points 620

Thanks again for everyone's help. I found with my machine to put the metallic thread in the bobbin worked like a charm. This will be perfect when I am doing an all over stipple. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 8:01 AM

I had heard that using it in the bobbin works best.  I plan on giving that a try.  Eventually.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use