Want a good laugh?

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 2:28 PM

Oh Judy!! You are so very blessed! What a treasure (both the quilt and the 'kids')! The quilt is still beautiful, tatters and all. 

I still have the quilt my aunt made for me 30 some years ago. DD 'barrows' it once in a while, but i always manage to sneak it back to my room. It's well used, and so full of love and memories that I'd never give it up, so I know exactly how your sons feel about their old quilts. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:53 PM

Judy,

I could only hope that something I make would be loved this much. I don't think a new one will ever replace the old one but I would make one just the same.

Thanks for sharing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,196
Points 16,015
Susan replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:41 AM

Yes, Judy, thanks for sharing this lovely story and I would  surly make her one of her very own, she sounds like she would love and cherish it . It so nice to hear  that you have  sentimental boys as mine is like that, too.       Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,280
Points 28,950
Agnes replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:08 PM

Much nicer to see a well worn quilt than one that has never seen the light of day because it is being saved and not appreciated for the love that went into the making. I've had requests from both sons to fix their quilts or requests for more. Just makes my heart sing!

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

Agnes:
Much nicer to see a well worn quilt than one that has never seen the light of day because it is being saved and not appreciated for the love that went into the making.

How true!!!  My daughter-in-law expressed great delight in two quilts I made for her and my son. I never see them and finally asked. She has them folded and put away because their cats would lay on them. I said "That's OK, that's what they are for" but she refuses to bring them out until the last cat is gone.

Well, dang.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

So many of you said "Make them a new quilt!". So I asked my son if they'd actually use a new queen size quilt and his response? "Are you kidding mom? Absolutely!"

Guess that's my next major project. If Sylvia's Bridal Sampler goes well, perhaps that will be it but I anticipate it to be somewhat slow going. Plus I was kind of thinking of making that for my granddaughter (since the Double wedding ring was a dismal failure).

We'll see.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,736
Points 66,660
Bonita replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:36 PM

Judy, if the're wanting a soft and comfy quilt, make them a flannel rag quilt. I love that they love thier quilts  so much.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

Bonita:

Judy, if the're wanting a soft and comfy quilt, make them a flannel rag quilt. I love that they love thier quilts  so much.

Bonita, I've always wanted to make one. The only thing that is holding me back is the expense of three layers of flannel for a quilt about 95 x 95.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:20 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I've always wanted to make one. The only thing that is holding me back is the expense of three layers of flannel for a quilt about 95 x 95.

When I made one I used cheap flannel for the center layer. It makes a very heavy quilt, I wonder if 3 layers would be too heavy for that large of a quilt. I made 2 throw size, a large heavy quilt might be hard to wash.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

Jacy:
I wonder if 3 layers would be too heavy for that large of a quilt.

I think you are right, it would be too heavy, even if only 2 layers. I have a baby quilt to make, I may make a rag from two layers of baby fire retardant flannel for that.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I used scrap batting for the inner layer in all the 6 rag quilts I made. And might I add that was 5 to many rag quilts that I made. The worse part was clipping the edges. I almost got carpal tunnel for my efforts.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:38 PM

My last rag quilt was made with cottons, and homespuns. It's warm and not as heavy as with flannels.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:01 PM

I, too, used batting scraps in my flannel rag quilt.  The dog, the cat, and the DH all love that quilt!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 11:11 PM

How about just a flannel backing on a quilt, that is cozy too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Judy, I can't tell from the picture -- is there any way to salvage the beloved quilt by applique-ing it onto some soft fabric?   That way it would still show the pattern and the fact that it's been well loved.

When I was pregnant with my first child, I crocheted a large baby blanket for her -- which she wanted to use as part of her wedding gown, all threadbare and mended!  She got talked out of that, but I understand where your son is coming from LOL

Her eldest child is now 23 ... so you know this is a long time ago. I don't know if she still has any scraps of that blanket left, but she did crochet one in the same pattern for her own just before she got married and she still does have that.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use