Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,703
Points 138,660
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: 09-22-2013 8:44 PM

My son, Mike, and his girlfriend just moved into a new place. I went out for dinner this afternoon and she gave me a tour of the house. I walked into the master bedroom and said "OMG, what is that on the bed!"

About 25 years ago I made a quilt for him and his then wife. I didn't know what I was doing, no particular pattern, just fabric in purple and white. I sewed pieces together and tied it.

It's on their bed. It's in tatters!  Kelly says she loves it!  The girl is a keeper.

Take a look at this thing. It is literally threadbare, the batting is gone and the only thing holding it together is the new flannel backing I put on it about 10 years ago.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827

Wow!  It's been loved to death!

Put aside any projects you thought you were going to work on in Oregon.  You need to make your son a new quilt ASAP!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790

Judy

It looks like that quilt has been well loved.   I do believe it is time to make them another bed quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,703
Points 138,660

MNnancy:

Wow!  It's been loved to death!

Put aside any projects you thought you were going to work on in Oregon.  You need to make your son a new quilt ASAP!

He has two other quilts, made within the past 5 years. Lap size and he uses those all the time. they are both on the couch.  I supposed I could make the two of them a new bed quilt. But Kelly likes this one! (even though it was originally made for the first wife 25 years ago). She says it's comfortable and makes her feel cozy.

I did make a small quilt for her dog and gave that to her today. Does that count?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827

Judy T-Bellingham:
I did make a small quilt for her dog and gave that to her today. Does that count?

'fraid not!   :-)

I'm sure a new bed quilt will make Kelly comfortable and cozy, too.  I suppose you could tell them you'll make it when they get married.  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 13,675

I think I would just start making them a wedding quilt, you say she is a keeper...have her make one with you, it will become even more special.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049

I have to say that is one loved and adored quilt. I have a feeling I know what they are getting for Christmas....HO HO HO isn't long now. She is definitely a keeper so I'd suggest her favorite colors so she knows she is welcome and wanted for more than her dog...LOL. I think its sweet you made a quilt for the dog. I thought I was the only one that would do that :-)

I will add I do like that pattern and color combo.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,563
Points 48,785

Judy,

Its obviously been loved to death, im in agreement with the others looks like she needs a new quilt for christmas.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,855
Points 181,538

I agree, it's been loved to death, Nancy.  It's like a pair of old shoes, just can't part with them they're so comfortable.  Another quilt is in order, when you get around to it and the spirit moves you.  I must say, that must've been a really pretty quilt in it's day.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,703
Points 138,660

Perhaps I do need to make them a new quilt. But no guarantees they will give up the old one. I actually have a couple queen tops that just need to be sandwiched and quilted. Or I wait until I complete the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565

I agree - it has been well loved!!

I see so many posts elsewhere where quilters complain that their efforts were not appreciated - that can not be said for this quilt - lol! 

Yup - I agree with the others - a new quilt might need to be on the "to do" list. At least you know it will be appreciated and loved.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665

Perhaps you could do what my grandmother did when a quilt was that far gone.  She made another quilt over it.  If the backing was good she made a new top , tied them together and added a binding.  I'm not sure if she cut off the binding or removed it.  I have 2 of her quilts she treated this way one has a 9 patch top over the old top, the other  has a whole cloth top and backing.  Both are tied.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,703
Points 138,660

Flojo:
Perhaps you could do what my grandmother did when a quilt was that far gone.  She made another quilt over it.  If the backing was good she made a new top , tied them together and added a binding. 

That's a cool idea and the quilt kind of goes forward in a new life. I don't think I'd attempt that with the one they have. Actually not even sure my son would allow it. He's a funny fella, very nostalgic type and holds on to things way past their "expiration date". My other son is very similar and still has the wedding quilt I made for them 27 years ago. It's in terrible condition, isn't being used on a daily basis but he drags it out when he's sick. He has new ones I made, just prefers the tattered old one.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665

I understand your sons.  There is nothing like the soft and soothing feel of lovingly used cotton fabric except your mother's arms when you are a baby to make you feel secure and comforted. I guess just make a new one.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049

I know the tattered feeling makes them more comfy to snuggle with. I still have mine I used as a kid and I wouldn't want it redone in any way...I like it the way it is. I just think a new one might end up the same way in many years...but you know its used and appreciated for the love that was put in it.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use