machine & single fold binding

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Sun, Sep 22 2013 6:18 PM

I know how to bind using the sewing machine but I'm drawing a bank on single fold binding.  Mother used to do it but I just can't remember how.  I am considering binding my blue jeans stained glass quilt in denim and single fold would be much easier than double fold to run through the machine. or at least I think.  If some one could tell me how to do it I could run up a sample and see which I prefer.  I don't plan on finishing a denim binding by hand!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 110
GinnyM replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:04 PM

FloJo

You will need to figure that the seam where you attach the binding (on the front of the quilt needs a 1/4 inch.  Then you need to cover the depth of the quilt.  That is dependent on the batting you use.  Then you need 1/4 inch for your turn under on the back of the quilt.  Make a sample block using your scrap fabrics and batting scrap to accurately test your estimated binding width.   lay fabric right side down on ironing board and press a 1/4 inch fold down one side of the binding-  Lay the unfolded side face down on the edge of the quilt and sew 1/4 inch from the edge.  Fold the binding to the back of the quilt and hand sew down.  Does this help?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:30 PM

Yes it does. thank you so much!so I would be sewing through the fold for the 1/4 " (2 layers,)  the top, the batting, the backing  for a total of 5 layers. If I use double fold the number of layers would be the same . the folded fabric (again 2 layers) the top, batting, backing. 5 layers so using single fold binding would not reduce the number of layers I would be sewing through.  Only I I get off track with double fold binding would I be sewing through 2 more layers than if I got off track with single fold.  I will still do practice runs to see which looks the best on this quilt.

Top 150 Contributor
603 Posts
Points 10,450
zoetc49 replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:36 PM

Just wondering here, you know how to do the double binding. I do mine with taking the two raw edges and match it up with the raw edge of the quilt on one side, then flip the quilt over and use that stitching mark to sew the ( folded) edge down.  I would take the raw edge of the single and match it up to the raw edge of your quilt, this is after you iron at least 1/4" ( I would do 1/2") and use that on the other side you sew. 

I might have just confused you more...sorry. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 110
GinnyM replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 11:08 PM

No you don't sew through the fold.  You sew through the "not folded edge" the top fabric, batting, back fabric.  then you slip stitch the folded edge to the back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,370 Posts
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:22 AM

Girls, help me here on the seam allowance, I'd use 1/2" seam on a heavy quilt such as denim.  What are your thoughts?  Cut your binding strip wider to accommodate this.  I may be wrong but the experienced girls will jump on this.  I've never made a denim quilt.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 4:07 PM

I plan to apply the binding totally by machine.  No hand work at all.  To do this I first stitch the binding to the back of the quilt after having trimmed the batting and backing to the same size  as the top. A 1/4 in seam is usually what I take.   I then fold the binding to the top, enough to cover the stitching line from applying the batting to the back  and then top stitch the binding.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 12:52 PM

I'm sorry I did not make myself clear about applying the binding completely by machine which means There would top stitching on the fold of the binding on top of the quilt

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use