Top 10 Posters

New and looking for sewing machine advice.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,295
Sherry Posted: Sat, Sep 21 2013 10:54 AM

I am new here and have been quilting a couple of years. I am very fortunate to live in Houston, Tx. The International Quilt Festival is just a few miles away each year. My question is- what you think is the best sewing machine for my 25 year old daughter who has never sewn and may not even like it. I have an Elna that I really like. I want to get her one good enough to last a while, but not so good I'll be upset if she never uses it. 

Sherry

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,435

Hello and welcome to the Board.

My favourite sewing machine is the Janome/New Home.  I had their Memory Craft 7 for 35 years before buying a new one -- HT2008 -- the current similar model is the DC2013 which retails for around $500.00.  Amazon has the DC2012 for $459.00.  There are other cheaper models such as the Magnolia for $240.00.  But if you are not sure she will stick with sewing, I don't think you can go wrong with the Brother CS6000i.  Amazon has it for $149.00.  Since getting it, I tend to use it more than my Janome since I can sew with it on a TV tray while watching videos.  It is very lightweight, but with shelf liner under it, it stays put really well.   And the extended sewing table really comes in handy when sewing larger items.   The harp is only 1/2" smaller than my Janome, so I can do just about everything on it that I can on the larger machine.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,295
Sherry replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:45 PM

Thank you!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 4:47 PM

Hi Sherry and welcome.

You will get as many answers to this question as there are board members who respond!!
There are several major brands that are good.  The big brand machines, which can be pricey, are excellent machines and if you purchase from a dealer they come with lessons which is helpful for a new sewer  . There are some less expensive machines - Brother and Singer, to name only two. that might be sufficient for what she will do as well. I have a little Brother CS 6000i that I have for dragging along for classes (it weighs 12 lbs) and it is a nice little machine .These can be purchased from big box stores and on line for about $150. If she is nearby to you this might be a good starting machine which you could help her with!!
Again - welcome and good luck with the search.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 4:58 PM

I am on my third Singer and love them.  Most of the women in my quilt club have Brother sewing machines and are quite happy.  I would say start with affordable, you can always upgrade her if she just falls in love with sewing.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Hi Sherry and welcome. I got my daughter an inexpensive machine as I wasn't sure she you like sewing. Well, she is a computer programmer and that is her life. No interest in sewing at all. That was about 15 years ago, well closer to 20 years. I'm glad I didn't spend more that $150. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 495
TERESAB-10 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:52 PM

Welcome Sherry!

When my daughter graduated from High School, we got her a Janome for about $200. It saw her thru costume design classes, earned her money repairing clothing for friends, provided new blouses when her wardrobe got "boring" & relieved stress by allowing her to sew doll clothes. All this after never before doing more than fix a seam! She quite surprised me!

Even if she had only used it to keep her wardrobe in repair, it would have been a good investment. She tells me that it's good enough to get her thru the next few years or until her father buys her mother a new machine. She actually hinted that to his face - love that girl all over again!

Anyway, she has had the machine for 8 years now with no repairs & only cleaning necessary. Even though I'm a Viking user, we bought the Janome for her because the small college town had a Janome dealer that I had heard good things about.

So buy an inexpensive machine, but buy it from a dealer you can trust who will support her as a beginner. Even if she only uses it to hem her jeans or fix a torn pocket, it will be worth it.

Teresa in Naperville, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:41 AM

Hi Sherry and Welcome!

Would love to meet you at the Houston Quilt Festival. My DSIL (dear sister-in-law) & I will get to spend 2 days there. I winter in Aransas Pass.

About machines. PLEASE, Please don't buy a sewing machine from Walmart or somewhere like that. I own a Bernina 440 with embroidery unit. Have a friend who really wanted a new machine that also did embroidery, but didn't want to spend that much. She looked at a Brother at Walmart and asked my opinion. I talked with my sewing machine repair man and learned that the sewing machines sold at Walmart and other 'box' stores can not be repaired. They are considered 'throw away machines'. Dealers of whatever brand they may be cannot get parts. My friend bought a Brother from a dealer and loves it.

My first choice would be a Singer Featherweight. Yes, they cost a few hundred dollars, but if your daughter doesn't want it or use it, you still have a machine that will not loose it's value. Featherweights are a wonderful small, lightweight machine. Second choice would be a used machine from a dealer.

Good Luck! Hope your daughter falls in love with sewing/quilting.

Lyn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 6:59 AM

Hi Sherry, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:10 AM

Some stores will have an upgrade plan.  I bought my daughter the least expensive baby lock and was told that I had 6 months time in which if I wanted to upgrade, they would give me full price for the one I purchased.  It was a good way to go. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:11 PM

Welcome to QCA Sherry!!!

I went to a yard sale and bought my daughters first machine. It was a Singer. I am not sure of the model anymore I just knew it was the one my granny had. I used it for many years but mom wanted it back due to hers finally died and she didn't sew enough to buy a new one. I would suggest yard sale shopping and if it sits in the closet its no big deal...but if she uses it then it would make for nice birthday or Christmas present to upgrade for her.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use