Top 10 Posters

what color thread should I quilt with?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140
maryclark18 posted on Fri, Sep 20 2013 8:35 AM

I'm working on a very basic nine patch quilt. Its lime green/black. What color thread should I use and how should I quilt it since its just squares? Thanks I'm new to quilting.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735

what color is your backing? I like to use a color that can be seen on the back so it shows the quilting there too.....I would probably use a green thread, will give a nice contrast to the black

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

My backing is lime green. Like I said this is my first quilt so I probably broke a "rule" by going with a green back.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735

there are no rules about color....it's your quilt...no one else has to like it but you...I think it sounds great...you should post a pic.....I make 95% of my backs white...the reason being is that I don't like to piece my backs and I buy a wonderful white sateen, it is soooo soft, I get it in wider widths from Backsidefabrics.com, plus I like seeing my work on the back. Your work is exactly that YOUR work....no rules ..no worries...  :)

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Points 495

Mary, if you are going to do straight quilting, in the ditch or criss-cross, you could use any color that you want. If you are going to do anything swirly or meandering you might want to go with top and bottom thread matching the back since you are a beginning quilter. Sometimes it takes a while to get the tension  and everything coordinated. When I started it was easy to get out of rhythm so I would get the top thread showing through. No matter what you do it will look great so don't stress out over it.  

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

How so you stitch in the ditch? And thank you for the help!  

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 110
GinnyM replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:29 PM

Welcome to the sisterhood of quilters,

As you are a new quilter I am going to suggest a book.  "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter.  I have been quilting for 14 years and I still reference this book from time to time.  I wore out the binding so I had Staples spiral bind it for me!  

To stitch in the ditch- where the patches come together there is a low and high side created when you pressed the seam to one side.  Stitch on the low side as close to the seam as possible.  Your stitching will disappear into the seam. This is nice if you have nice piecing you want to highlight.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,784
gini replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 12:19 AM

Hi Mary, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,784
gini replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 12:19 AM

Hi virginia, welcome to you, too.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,186 Posts
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:31 AM

maryclark18:
How so you stitch in the ditch?
                       Mary, If you want this first nine patch quilt to keep I would practice on something else first as it takes a lot of practice to quilt. There are classes on Craftsy .com where you can follow along with the instructor and access them at any time. Some of us have taken these classes and really liked them.  Hope this helps and Welcome to QCA !    Susan

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use