How would you quilt this?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 46,575

Gale, glad you were able to get your quilt quilted. FYI I looked at the Warm & White batting I have and it says you can leave 10" between quilt lines. I was shocked by that. I have also got some cheap polyester that is 2-3".. I no longer try to save money buying cheap batting. I pretty much stick with the Warm & White and try to get it at JoAnns with a 50% off coupon. I hate having to worry about how to space my stitches. I have heard good things about bamboo batting and will try it , with a coupon of course, when I have a chance.

I will definitely have to look into EQ, looks like a great program.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 12:29 PM

It's not quite quilted yet but it's started. Maybe in a few days. I did all the diagonals both ways (through the center of the blocks) but I want to do a line or two in between. I know I don't have to but I'd like the quilting lines to be a little closer together. I hurt my elbow about 10 days ago (by sleeping, believe it or not-I must have had it twisted funny in my sleep) and it was finally getting better yesterday but all that quilt handling made it hurt so I may take today off completely. But it's looking pretty good so far! I messed up on the edges a little-I went to the corner of the blocks at the raw edge instead of visualizing the seam line as being 1/4" in so the lines won't meet at the binding but this one is for us to keep and I don't think my family will notice.

I could definitely tell I was having less difficulty when I started the opposite direction quilting so maybe I'm actually learning! Imagine!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale:
I am pretty sure it's tying off the threads rather than backstitching at the beginning and end of a run of quilting. You pull the top thread to the back and then tie the two to secure. I do it with machine applique.

Rather than having knots on the back of the quilt (or the front), when I "tie off" threads, I actually bury the knots using the quilters knot. You have to make sure you leave a long tail of thread when you do this, though. What I've done lately is use the machine to knot the thread, which is an option with my machine. This works well especially for wall hangings.

As for the chalk lines, they're going to brush off really easily, especially if you're doing machine quilting because you move it around and handle it so much. I know of many peopole who use either the felt pen that fades after a few days (I think the mark is blue) or the one that you spritz with water and the line disappears (i think it's purple. I may have the 2 mixed up.)

I wouldn't worry about the quilting lines going into the binding area. I do that a lot so I don't have to tie threads since they are stitched over when you sew on the binding.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Judy Iliff:
I actually bury the knots using the quilters knot.

Judy, do you mean to say that you do this by hand, the way you would if you were hand quilting a piece? If so, you are a very patient person. I think I'll continue to take a few little bitty machine stitches at the beginning and end, and cut the threads close.

Judy Iliff:
I know of many peopole who use either the felt pen that fades after a few days (I think the mark is blue) or the one that you spritz with water and the line disappears (i think it's purple. I may have the 2 mixed up.)

As you suspected, you do have the two mixed up, the purple fades with air, the blue one with water. One piece of advice I have--do not use the blue water-soluble one after you've put the sandwich together unless you intend to wash the whole quilt. I learned the hard way that spritzing with water after you've sewn seems to work at first, but by the time it's dry the blue ink that had soaked into the batting works its way back up to the top and it shows. I had to spritz over, and over and over again to get it all out.  I have used the air-dry one to mark a top I was hand-quilting after the sandwich was together, and had no problem. I haven't used it with machine stitches.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Judy Johnson:
Judy, do you mean to say that you do this by hand, the way you would if you were hand quilting a piece? If so, you are a very patient person.

Yep, that's what I do. Patient? Maybe. Most people would call me crazy and compulsive! LOL!

Judy Johnson:
As you suspected, you do have the two mixed up, the purple fades with air, the blue one with water.

Dang! I knew I should look it up first! I've also heard that even if you put the blue on before you baste it, the blue sometimes comes back onto the top. Hopefully the manufacturers have fixed this by now as I learned this several years ago.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 2:18 AM

Pat Lancaster:
I will definitely have to look into EQ, looks like a great program.

Pat,

it is a wonderful program. I think it's very user friendly and the possibilities are endless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:13 AM

Kris

I love my EQ.  I just need to take a couple of the classes offered at Quilt University so that I can really get all it has to offer.  I have mostly just played with it and kind of fiqured it out as I went but I know it will do a lot more than I am using it for at this time.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:21 AM

Nana,

I'm doing an EQ drawing class at QU right now. This week will be our last. It is very informative. The teacher is Fran Gonzalez. She wrote some of the EQ companion books.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:24 AM

Kris

I had read your previous postings about the EQ classes at QU.  They sound great and not super expensive.  I am seriously considering taking a couple of the classes soon.  Have you done any of the actual quilting classes that they have?  Some of the applique ones sound interesting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:29 AM

This is the first class I've ever taken with them but there are a few I would like to try. The one about fabric portraits looks really interesting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,246
Points 239,852
Thea replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:37 AM

Gale, I am glad you almost have it done.  Each subsequent quilt will get easier.  I, too, don't worry about stitching into the binding area.  I let my machine start and stop in that area so I don't have to do a tie off.  If I am starting somewhere in the middle I bring the bobbin thread to the front and hold it there as I start I then will use the quilting knot later and bury this in the quilt - yes just like hand quilting...lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Judy Iliff:

Yep, that's what I do. Patient? Maybe. Most people would call me crazy and compulsive! LOL!

Judy I seem to remeber you saying something about being a little OCD back when everyone was posting their sewing rooms in regards to Jodie's slob question.  :o)  Really - I think we all have our little quirks about something, don't we? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Marge (AKA Dimples):
Really - I think we all have our little quirks about something, don't we? 

OK, instead of OCD, I'm going to say I have LQ - little quirks. ROFLOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,400

Hi Gayle, I am still new to the site but I was looking at your quilt and I like Judy's idea of an X stiched across each block.  If you are looked for more ideas, when I first looked at the picture of the quilt, I could mentally see three circles stitched inside each other in each block.  Another idea would be to alternate an X in one block and Circles in ithe next.  I doubt that the next idea would work without some stitching in the ditch.  At a quilt show last year they had a beautiful log cabin quilt on display.  Each strip had been stitched down the middle with just a straight stitch which was very eye pleasing but I am not sure it would work on your quilt without stitching in the ditch and would certainly be a lot of work.  The circles might be difficult without a walking foot unless your batting is very thin. 

Once again, Judy's idea would be the fastest and easiest way of doing your quilt.  Good luck.

Since this post is a few days ago, you are probably already through with your quilt.  And if you are not, have fun and enjoy your finished quilt.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 3:13 AM

I did finish it-I'm so excited! I called my sister and told her I finally finished my first "real" quilt (other than wall hangings) and she said WHAT? I thought you've been making quilts all this time. She lives far away. So I had to tell her nope, I've been buying fabric and patterns and tools all this time but not doing much actual quilting. So anyway it's done and in the washer but I took pictures before I put it in there.

pic #1

pic #2

I machine stitched the binding on. Before this I have always hand stitched them but since I plan to make a bunch of lap quilts I wanted to try machine stitching. I was too worried about not catching the back to straight stitch so I did a zig zag. I like how it turned out:

pic of binding

thanks everyone, for all the help and encouragement! I know you all understand my excitement. I showed my husband and he said 'oh that's nice' and didn't seem nearly impressed enough. hmph.

• | Post Points: 200
Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use