rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:19 PM

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/636/celebratespringtopmq6.jpg

I'm all over the place about how to do this. I am terrible at staying in the ditch and don't have a walking foot with a ditch guide so that's out. I thought about just stitching down the center of each strip (and across the opposite direction strips) like a 2" grid but I am not 100% certain all the strips are exactly 2" wide. And I would have to use a guide to keep stitching in the center. So then I thought maybe I would do it diagonally about 2" apart.  At least that way I'm not following any lines. I started it (but only a couple of passes) about 1/2" inside the seams but that ends up being about 1" apart and will take me forever. So how would you do it? I'm not ready to try free motion yet.

And how much thread does it take to do a lap quilt? I bought 2 small spools of gutermann thread-that is what the lady at the LQS suggested. I filled 2 bobbins, went across the top about 4 times, and one spool is completely empty. Needless to say it's pretty obvious 2 spools isn't going to cut it. So I will order a big spool somewhere but should I order 2? Is there some rule of thumb or magic formula on how much it'll take?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale, I think I would just stitch diagonally from corner to corner of each block, so it will be big X's through each block when you're finished. Do you have any painters tape? I just lay down a long strip of tape that I line up through the corners and then us the tape as a guide for my stitch line.

As for the thread, I don't know what to tell you, but I would think 2 spools would be enough - as long as they're not those sample spools.

I've added the photo of your quilt below so others can see it here.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:35 PM

The blocks are 10" so an X would be too far apart right? Maybe I'll do it diagonally like that and then do another line right in between each pair of lines-so it would be 5" apart. And if it was still too far apart I could go again and be 2.5" apart.

I know I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be. That's just my way. lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Read the package your batting came in and it will tell you how far apart you can stitch. the large Xs might work. The painter's tape is a great tool to keep you stitching straight.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:11 AM

Big Xs would work, as long as the batting instructions say you can stitch that far apart.  You could do a grid pattern on the diagonal, then you don't have to worry about the lines being exactly in the middle of the strips.  Very pretty quilt :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:17 AM

very nice quilt Gale.  I like the suggestions of the others. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Gale,

You're going to think I'm nuts to have done this, but I'm about to start a quilt that also is rectangle-based, and have been thinking about how I would quilt it. I made up a simplified version of yours on EQ6, and put quilting in some of the blocks to illustrate my idea. This would be fairly easy, and quick, using the painters tape or marking with water-soluble markers before it's sandwiched. The smaller squares aren't that small, so they would not be too hard. You could add squares at the intersection of the blocks if the stitching is too far apart. If it were mine I would also stitch in the ditch around each block.

Good luck, and thanks for helping me spend a few minutes to improve my EQ skills.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:58 AM

Judy J, That is an awesome diagram... wow...great work!

Me - to quilt this quilt - I think I would do a diagonal across the quilt and space them 2" apart.  Then do the same grid the opposite direction. 

and then you could do an nice medium meander all over it with the occasional butterfly or bug or star!

I like Judy's design but if you are a beginner quilter then this would be a lot of threads to tie in that is why i would either do a design that ran from one edge to the other or do a meander - love to hear what you decide to do!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:58 PM

Ohh I like that diagram. And I can see a way where I could do the larger diamonds in a continuous run but not the small ones. I need to decide if I want to mess with marking a top (I just ordered a new chacoliner-mine is white and not showing up well on this top) or if I want to use a guide on my walking foot and do a grid.

I didn't know I could map out a diagram like that in EQ. I'll have to check that out.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Althea :
this would be a lot of threads to tie in

Thea,

I'm confessing my ignorance. I've heard that phrase but I don't know what it means. How do you "tie in threads"?

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:48 PM

gale, your quilt is very cute.   i think anything you choose will look good.    i like doing circular or curvy patterns when the piecing is straight lines.   something like a roman-grecco continuous key shape would look good   too.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:49 PM

judy, great diagram.  this would look great on gales quilt   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Judy, I like the quilting diagram you designed for Gale. And I just read, Gale likes it, too, so it's good all around

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:09 AM
I started to try it the way Judy graphed it out but my chaco liner lines would not stay. I would mark the line and by the time I got everything up in the machine it was gone. I started to mark the line at the machine but it was going to be too much marking so I ended up doing it diagonally. My chaco liner must be 20 yrs old so maybe it's wearing out (it's still full-that's how much I've used it). I'm thrilled that I can use EQ to mark out lines though. My other top that I just pieced is on EQ (I used it for color placement) so I'm going to play around with it a little.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:33 AM

Judy Johnson:

Althea :
this would be a lot of threads to tie in

Thea,

I'm confessing my ignorance. I've heard that phrase but I don't know what it means. How do you "tie in threads"?

I am pretty sure it's tying off the threads rather than backstitching at the beginning and end of a run of quilting. You pull the top thread to the back and then tie the two to secure. I do it with machine applique.

If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me.

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use