rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 11:54 PM

Nora...

I will have to say interesting conversation you started here. I know I have learned a lot. I've actually started googling it but I am not sure how convinced I am to change. I will say you've made me think.

Thanks for the interesting conversation

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:50 AM

I just found this thread, WOW, scary and thought provoking!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,864
gini replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:17 PM

This is pretty interesting-  gini

Thank you for your interest in Quilters Dream Angel.  The Dream Angel is not a polyester, or a cotton (not recycled plastic either).  It is a combination of two man-made fibers that has been specially engineered from tree pulp and sand to be flame retardant.  It is not a chemically dipped fiber - instead the fibers are manufactured to be flame retardant, so the qualities will never be washed or rubbed off.  Thank you for choosing Quilters Dream Batting.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Jane Kinzie
Quilters Dream Batting
1-888-268-8664

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,864
gini replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:18 PM

And this.  It seems there are two batts now made with this fiber

Darn it it didn't post warm and natural has a product, warm and safe made with the same fibers.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:49 PM

Annie:
Funny you should bring this subject up. I made an American flag for my classroom about 18 years ago and have had it up in every room I've been in. But just last week the fire Marshall came in and told me that I either needed treat the quilt with fire retardant spray or remove it from my wall.

Annie,

I'm not sure it's the quilt per se. As a former fire marshall I was taught that anything on the wall or taped to a fire door is a fire hazard.

Recently at the hospital many flyers and tape etc had to be taken down. Bulletin boards and frames are acceptable.

This is an interesting discussion but I feel there's so much that is potentially harmful in everyday life that nothing is 100% safe.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 7:37 AM

Gini,

I saw that. It's called Warm & Safe. Couldn't find it in the stores, either. I think the more that people start asked for this kind of product, the more that stores will begin to carry it.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 5:13 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally received my flame retardant batting from Quilter's Dream Angel Batting. It's awesome. It looks like and feel very soft, like cotton. It has a wonderful smooth texture and feel really good in your hands. Very easy to hand quilt. The loft is low. I purchase the Select  which is supposed to be a medium loft but to me, it's a low loft. I'm using two layers of batting which mean I have to order another one. All I can say is that it sews beautifully and I'll have peace of mind. Definately worth the couple of extra dollars.

Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use