Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:14 AM

i read that quilter's dream was fire retardant and just assumed that it was like all other cloths that were imbued with fire retardant, so i apologize,  nchavez.  i have seen it before and passed it by.    i try to buy clothes and products without the chemicals. in some cases it isn't possible.

i think that quilters angel dream does itself a real disservice by advertising it's product as flame retardant, because the term has many negative connotations for many people.  i am sure there are a lot of folks like me that have passed it by from their implied use of fire retardants.    they would be better served to think up another term to get the message across that their batt does not burn. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:25 AM

Gini,

I agree. They should say "naturally fire retardant." I was just following up on another comment about the law in California and the use of boric acid in mattress batting as a flame retardant.  I've used boric acid as a pesticide and it's safe for humans and animals if it's kept in the corners. I certainly don't want it in my bed breathing it all night. I also read that it breaks down/off the fibers of the mattress batting as the mattress ages and that's when you start breathing it in. It's interesting to learn that boric acid is a pesticide to kill roaches and ants, etc., but it doesn't seem to have any effect on bed bugs and the dust mites that live in our mattress. Yikes!

I've yet to find Quilter's Dream Angel batting in any store here in Albuquerque so I ordered it online off of Ebay.

Nora

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Gini, thanks for the link to the article. I knew poly batts would burn very well, but was happy to see that bamboo/cotten blend held up well as well as cotton and wool. II have heard horror stories of polyester melting, not just batting, and causing severe burns. I'm delighted that this subject has been addressed because so many of us make baby quilts and quilts for nursing homes. It's not easy to keep safe these days so educating ourselves is very important. Thanks for your input on this topic!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:13 PM

Nora, where in New Mexico do you live?    My husband just drove through your state.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 9:32 PM

Gini,

I live in Albuquerque. I've been here for about 16 years. I'm originally from San Antonio, TX via Los Angeles.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 12:32 AM

i love albuquerque,  sam used to have a trader that lived there, and he got us rides in one of the balloons during the fall festival. what  an exciting day.  the next day, we got to ride in one of the chase cars.  riding in the balloon was exciting,  riding in the chase car was beyond exciting.   i thought sam was going to founder eating green chili stew.   i miss the big boxes of green chilis we were sent every year, too.   the first  thing he said to me this week when he called after driving  through albuquerque,  was that he had found some great green chili stew.    we have a member here that invited us to dinner. she lives in arizona,  her green chili stew is some of the best i've had.  

you live in a beautiful part of the country.  do you miss LA or texas?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:51 AM

Gini,

I love living here in ABQ. The weather is the best and it's absolutely gorgeous. I lived in LA during the 80s when I was young, hip, and in fashion school. I do miss the resources available. You could find anything you wanted. I do miss the great museums and artwork. I grew up in San Antonio but it was never my town. I don't know why I never connected with it. I do enjoy visiting. I think it was the weather. It's so hot and humid there. I do love the food. As much as I love New Mexican food I prefer Tex-Mex. Let me know if you come this way. The balloon festival is coming up in the next week or so.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:54 AM

HI!  It has been many years since the original discussions on flame retardent fabrics for children...but I do recall that

when you washed or had the clothes cleaned the chemicals went down the drain.  So what now...disposable clothes.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 10:04 AM

How true! That's why the use of Boric Acid for mattress padding as one of the other comments has become problematic. I chose to buy Quilter's Dream Angel Batting which is 100% organic, toxic and chemical free and the fibers used are inherently fire retardant. After all the comments on this issue I did a lot of research and really liked what I read about Quilter's Dream. But I couldn't find it anywhere here in Albuquerque so I had to buy it online.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 2:00 PM

nora, i'm not sure angels dream is 100% organic.  it doesn't say that on their site. they don't state exactly what it is made of.  if it were organic cotton or wool they would brag that up.     

i finally found a bit about it

Although the process of creating Dream Angel is our trade secret, we are excited to give you a little more inside knowledge!

Dream Angel fibers are neither cotton nor polyester - they are specially engineered fibers created to be flame retardant. These man-made fibers contain no PBDE's, bromides or chemical additives. You cannot rub or wash off the flame retardant quality due to the fibers being inherently flame retardant. We have spent years of research in developing this proprietary product. We did not take any 'shortcuts' on this batting and use ONLY Flame Retardant Fibers.

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 4:15 PM

Welcome to the club, Nora.  I'm glad to see another New Mexican in the group.  I'm in Las Cruces and also love living in the Land of Enchantment!  I also love the Kokopeli quilt shop you have in Albuquerque!

Perhaps some time if you are ever down this way, or when we visit north we can get together for lunch or something.  

Adios

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 5:35 PM

I'm excited.

Test results were….?

Dream Angel's test results were exceptional!

During the testing by an independent testing laboratory, the batting was placed between 2 layers of cotton fabric and elevated on to a mesh rack (to promote airflow). The top layer of fabric was caught on fire and the batting formed a barrier preventing the bottom layer of cotton from being damaged at all! Dream Angel passed this difficult test standard: the California Dept. of Consumer Affairs - Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation Draft - Technical Bulletin 604 for Filling Materials Component Test Open-Flame Resistance.

That's what I wanted to see. That the bottom layer is protected. I'm allergic to everything so I'm glad it's nonallergenic.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
nchavez replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 5:52 PM

Jenia,

How great to know you! I visit Las Cruces from time to time for work. I work at UNM and have community meetings with stakeholders from DOH, NMSU, etc. I would love to see your quilts. I'm just waiting for my flame retardant batting to start on my Ladies of the Sea quilt. I'm doing it in blocks quilt as you go. Got everything then realized I couldn't find what I was looking for in batting which started this conversation on the site. I even have my pizza boxes. So, I'll start cutting and wait for my batting. I'm already excited about a second quilt, the Civil War Bride quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,705
Points 38,185
ls2116 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 6:44 PM

Here is another fabric that you have to beware of sleeping in if all sleepware is to be flame retardant nylon jersey knit it just melts away!  I don't quilt with it but thought it was on the subject.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 495
TERESAB-10 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:33 PM

Welcome Nachez!

Thanks for such an interesting discussion!

Teresa in Napeville, Illinois

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use