Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 2,015
Denise (denilyn) Posted: Mon, Sep 16 2013 12:45 PM
I am getting a room..extra bedroom that I am making a sewing room. I am putting recessed lighting as I only have one very small window in that room. Any good ideas on what color I should paint to keep the room as bright as possible besides white of course? Thanks so much.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
baglio replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 1:23 PM

I just painted mine a light orange, maybe a peach color.   I painted one accent wall the same value but a little darker.   It looks great and makes the room very light.  My room is in a downstairs basement with 3 high windows. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 2,015
Thank you for answering...that sounds very nice. I have tried a sample yellow color hoping it would brighten it a bit more but I don't like it...so back to searching. I love peach colors too so am going to go back and get samples before I dive in. My machine cabinet is white as well as my cutting table. I cannot wait to be able to just leave everything set up...right now everything gets folded up to compact size and put away when I am done...makes you not want to do anything because of having to compact it all when you are done setting it up to go and cuts playtime in half...bad enough I still work a full time job which cuts into playtime as well.
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 3:51 PM

Any pale color will brighten the room. I prefer a cool tint in my quilting area, keeps me from feeling hot and closed in.  A barely there green or blue is my preference as yellow and anything with red in it makes me feel HOT! since I have the occasional hot flash I do all I can to stay cool without messing with the AC. 

A ceiling fan i a lifesaver as well if you don't have one, get one! or at least something to circulate the air when you have to close the door so the noise of your sewing machine doesn't disturb the rest of the household.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 3:54 PM

Denise (denilyn):
I have tried a sample yellow color hoping it would brighten it a bit more but I don't like it

Some yellows can be pretty deep.  My first thought was a pale sunny yellow, but Flojo is right, any pale pastel should work especially if you keep the ceiling and all wood trim white.  Instead of recessed lights, you could consider 4 ft banks of florescents.  

We're going to want to see pictures of your room when it's finished, Denise!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 797
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 4:15 PM

HI Denise,

I Painted my room a light mint green.  The sewing table and machine are white.  The window has natural wood that is stained what DH calls "Gunstock" (it's a med brown on the orange side, but not too much,  and I have mint green curtains which I leave open almost all the time.  I live in the woods so there is no one to look in the windows.  The only reason I put curtains up was to keep the sun off the fabric! LOL  A pale blue would also work well too, it is a very relaxing color.  Actually any pale color would work well.

Let us know what you choose.

In the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 5:35 PM

Denise (denilyn):
I am getting a room..extra bedroom that I am making a sewing room. I am putting recessed lighting as I only have one very small window in that room. Any good ideas on what color I should paint to keep the room as bright as possible besides white of course? Thanks so much.

What is your favorite color? I paint for a living and often help my customers with colors that will be pleasing to them and not be garrish. Yellows for people are particularly difficult in choosing. What looks good on a chip can often wreak havoc on the mind on a big wall. Sherwin Williams has a kind of Paint my room interactive that you can upload your room and test colors. It's fun.

I don't have a lot of light in my room, but wanted a barn red. That's my Happy color. Fall leaves, fresh apples, pumpkins, squash color, eggplant and greens. I love it! It gives me energy, although I've had to add extra light. I guess why I am relating this is that my theory is..... if you think about a theme or colors that make you happiest you can make anything work in your room.  

You could also pick a fabric ,  or window treatments, or even a painting that you love and pull a color from that. Paint stores will custom match colors for you from these things if you can't find it in a chip.

Congrat's on your new room!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,960

Denise,

My favorite color is red but i decided to paint our room Sunshine Yellow (True Value) with red accents. The room gives me energy and I've thought how wonderful it would be for my sewing room. The yellow had an added bonus of being very dark when the lights are out.   

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 2,015
Thanks to all for answering and sharing ideas. My favorite colors are fall colors...red has always been a favorite but unfortunately my eyes need a color that will brighten this room along with lots of lighting....getting old is rough....I have been diagnosed with glaucoma and my eyes are tired after a long day in front of a computer. So the brighter I can make it the better. I do love light mint, peach and light blue colors as well. After sampling I am leaning towards the light mint but haven't really decided yet. :-). Thanks again ladies.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 11:18 PM

Denise,

I did my kitchen in earth tones of dark green on the cabinets with wood doors and light green on the wall's. I know this is for your sewing room, but I find the colors are relaxing. By the way, my kitchen table is off of my kitchen which is  where I sew. My home is small and that is the place that works best for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 1:22 AM

Denise

Come up with a pastel that makes you feel happy.   You not only want light in the room you want a color that makes you feel calm and happy while you are in the room.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 6:28 AM

Denise, google "red painted rooms, images"  There are a lot of ideas there, many which use red with other colors.  I might give you some ideas.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 2,015
Thanks everyone for input...appreciate it very much. I didn't grow up with anything but white walls with color accents with pillows or drapes...hard to pick colors for walls without getting anxious....LOL. :-). BTW , Nana, my sister-in-law lives in Vinton....got to visit last October...nice area. I loved downtown Roanoke. :-)
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 1:58 PM

Denise

You should have let me know you were in the area.   We could have met for coffee or something. If you come back this way let me know.... I would love to meet you.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use