rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 1,000
LindaE posted on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:43 AM

I am having a severe mental block.

A co-worker is having a baby, and I knitted a sweater and hat for her. I intended to knit a blanket, but did not like it, so I quit and ripped out what I did. I am tired of knitting, and want to quilt. This morning, I decided I am making a baby quilt for her, and will probably knot it since her shower is Oct. 6. 

The difficulty is her colors. She wants yellow and gray. The yellow I understand and can easily work with. The gray, however, is not helping me come up with a pattern. 

I thought about rail fence, saw a lovely pattern in the Quilter magazine, but it won't lend itself to gray.

Ohio Star came to mind, since we are in Ohio, and she is a Buckeye fan. It seems trite, though.

Tumbling Blocks? Gray as the top piece, with light and medium yellows as the bottom pieces?

I don't really have a quilter comfort zone. I really like traditional fabric, but can put batiks together without batting an eye. 

This gray, though, has me baffled. It isn't even a pale gray, but more medium to dark gray. My co-worker is in her early 20s, and what would look great to me would be too "old" for her.

What would you do with gray?

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:58 AM

Google yellow and gray quilts. Here's a couple to get you started.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:59 AM

I actually love gray, or what I like to think of as silver.

Perhaps if you think of it as silver it might help with your design (silver and gold are awesome together) .  So what could possibly go wrong with yellow and gray?  Pink and gray has always been a favorite combo of mine, I'm sure any pattern can look good with yellow and gray as long as it's put together nicely.

When I first read your post I immediately thought of a chevron for some reason.  I am a newbie and not really that experienced - but color has always been something I love.  We will love to see what you come up with!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,037 Posts
Points 13,195

Linda,

Moms usually have a nursery theme too. It would be nice if you knew that info too. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,956 Posts
Points 368,407
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 12:16 PM

LindaE:
What would you do with gray?

Grey is a neutral and will work well as a background. Yellow is a wonderful contrast as evidenced by Jacy's posted examples (which I love). I don't see why it wouldn't work in a rail fence design. 

Grey doesn't have to mean drab and it's not too "old" at all.

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 12:56 PM

Looking at it as "silver" helps a lot. 

I googled gray and yellow quilts, and came up with lots of ideas, some that lend themselves well to children. And I went and joined Pinterest, which also had ideas.

I guess I was picturing gray looking muddy, and not cheerful. If I use the wrong fabric, it could look that way, but if I choose wisely, it doesn't have to.

Rail Fence is the leading contender, with Tumbling Blocks a close second. I'll have to see what fabrics I can find, and decide after that.

Thanks for nudging me out of the mental block!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:23 PM

Gray and yellow are actually quite popular right now, so I'll bet you'll easily find some fabrics she'll love.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Jacy - what cute options you came up with! I never imagined that yellow and gray could look so great together - especially for a baby , but you nailed it!

Linda Gless

Hartford, WI

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 495

Gray & yellow must be really popular right now. The local quilt shop has quite a few newer fabrics in those colors. A Rail Fence is the first thing that pops into my mind.

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 8:34 PM

I was at a quilt show last week. One of the vendors said that gray is very popular, but the fabric companies are just now getting gray fabric out on the market. More grays are coming.

i am doing a log cabin, instreak of lightening setting. I couldn't figure out how to accentuate the chevron in rail fence. Half the blocks are most of the way done, and I am enjoying myself thoroughly. A second quilt may join this one, and go to a relief auction. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

LindaE:
One of the vendors said that gray is very popular, but the fabric companies are just now getting gray fabric out on the market.

I think I mentioned on another thread that our guild is doing a "15 Shades of Gray" challenge.  We had no trouble finding 15 different grays to package up for the participants.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:50 PM

Jacy was showing some gray and yellow fabric in the Oregon coast retreat group.   We were looking for ugly fabric, but I think it would be beautiful in the right setting.   the third from left.

Patti

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:36 PM

Linda,

I just completed a small baby quilt, a receiving blanket,  3 cotton backed wash cloths and 2 burp cloths.  One of my former students is having a baby girl. I was so proud of myself for just using all left over fabric and stash fabric. I even had the wash cloths and flat cloth diapers to make everything. I didn't wan to know what her colors are or theme.  I just put things together and I really like the way all of it turned out. 

I was going to knit so something but I really needed to start sewing again. 

Great for my quilters block. 

Hope your project goes well. 

Top 50 Contributor
2,833 Posts
Points 40,020
ls2116 replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:50 PM

Love Jacy' example and i like the part that looks like ripple in crochet thats the way i would go. hope this helps.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use