Hello from Beautiful Colorful Colorado

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 150
kleinsong Posted: Wed, Sep 11 2013 10:21 AM

Hi -- I found this group while online searching for some out-of-date fabric.  I have been quilting for about 12 years, and it is my passion along with stamping/cardmaking.  Too much to do, so little time :-)  And the job seems to get in the way -- LOL :-)   I have just inherited my dear surrogate mom's Pfaff 7570 sewing machine on which she taught me to quilt, so I'm excited to enter a new chapter on something other than my loyal Singer sewing machine.  Looking forward to interacting with all of you.

Wendy

• | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 12:15 PM

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the group, you will have a great time here. 

In the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 12:36 PM

Hi Wendy!  What part of the state do you live in?  I'm interested in your phrasing "beautiful, colorful Colorado."  We have part-time neighbors from Windsor, Colorado - Ft. Collins area north of Denver..  They say it is brown, brown, brown around them for most of the summer and fall.  In addition to the dryness, I guess the pine beetles have killed all the trees on the hillsides.  That's why they bought a vacation home here in Minnesota - for the chance to see blue lakes and green trees.  

Welcome to QCA - a wonderful quilting community!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 1:28 PM

Hi wendy, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Welcome, Wendy.  I don't know what Nancy is talking about, but I just got back from a wedding in Denver and it was beautiful (and colorful).  Isn't that what that whole "Purple Mountains Majesty" line is about?  :)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,835
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 2:44 PM

Welcome Wendy...I think Colorado is beautiful.  I have a cousin who lives in Lakewood.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 150
kleinsong replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 3:05 PM

Hi Carolyn -

Agreed :-)  To Nancy -- I live in Littleton, Colorado, a southwest suburb of Denver, right against the Jefferson County foothills.  I have lived in Colorado all my life (my family is originally from North Dakota), and I truly believe this is the most beautiful place.  Anyone choosing to live in this state needs to keep in mind that Colorado is what is known as a "semi-arid climate."  We do not get as much rain as other regions of the country, but we are not as totally hot and dry as true desertous regions.  That being said, we had a fairly dry year last year; but the monsoons arrived right after the 4th of July this year, and we have been hit hard ever since with moisture.  This does not take into additional account the late winter snows we had right up to early May this year.  Your friends obviously are not used to a semi-arid climate and prefer a moisture, more humidity-style climate where the moisture is heavy year round and the countryside stays green.  This is a beautiful state, with beautiful mountains (purple mountains majesty as Carolyn writes), and sunshine and blue skies most days.  As with any area, we have struggled in these past 24 months with climate issues of our own.  Everything is cyclical, and we have old forests that nature has its own way of thinning out (beetle kill and fires).  This can be hard to see, but what comes behind it is fresh, green and beautiful.  Look beyond the "brown" and you will see new life!  Our Aspen trees are beginning to turn in the high country, and there just is no more beautiful place on earth than our mountains in the Fall -- sorry, but that's how I feel.  My heart will always belong to our beautiful beautiful state.

Hope that helps explain Nancy :-)  Thanks Carolyn -- you are right -- it is very beautiful here!  Right now the monsoons have returned with a vengeance and we are cool (65) and rainy and just beautiful.  Feels like Fall is in the air :-)

Wendy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:43 PM

Thanks for the detailed description, Wendy.  I have never been to Colorada and can only go by what this couple tells us.

Hey, gang, when are we having a QCA quilt retreat in Colorado?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Welcome to the club Wendy. My DH is from Ft. Collins, Colorado. I was just there in April. We go back every other year or so. I also have a cousin who lives in Littleton. I haven't seen her in years though. You will  love it here.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:43 AM

Welcome Wendy

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,538
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:44 AM

Hi Wendy, welcome, glad to have you join us, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 495
TERESAB-10 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:27 PM

Welcome Wendy!

Teresa in Naperville, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:59 AM

Hi Wendy,

Your thread was just before the flooding started. My quilt stash is at the house in Estes Park. We, thank God, are about 200 + yards up the hill from Fish Creek. Arrived back in Colorado Saturday (yesterday). We are staying in our Motorhome at the RV garage we rent near Johnstown/Loveland area. Hope to get up to the house on Tuesday and check it all out.

You are correct. Colorado is beautiful. We travel almost full time in our Motorhome, but Colorado is where my heart is.

Happy Quilting,

Lyn

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:25 PM

Wendy...

Welcome to QCA!! I know there is so much to learn and see on this site. There is a great deal of interaction between the members so please jump right in.

I have an old pfaff and I have to say even  with my newest machine my DH bought me last Christmas it is still my favorite. It was a hand-me-down from my MIL...she was amazed how much I loved it. It was won at a homecoming drawing in 1956 and it came with all the attachments. It sews like a champ and never misses a beat. She thought I was just saying I'd take it to be nice but that year everyone including her got something sewn on that machine for Christmas.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,850
Candis replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:14 AM

Welcome Wendy!

MODESTO, CA.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use