Using Linen/cotton blend fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy posted on Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:02 AM

I was looking at some quilting fabric and it was listed as 55% linen/45% cotton.

Has anyone used fabric like this, I wonder if it's any different than 100% cotton. Does it shrink more, wrinkle more, have a different texture? Since it's online I couldn't examine and feel it.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:53 PM

I've used linen for backgrounds, unless you can feel the weight of it I would pass.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 330
Kay replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 6:29 PM

I have never seen this fabric, but typically linen wrinkles.  Linen has stiffer fibers than cotton.  If you used all linen/cotton fabric it might make a nice quilt, because if it wrinkles or shrinks it would be uniform and look like you intended it to be that way.  I would suggest making, quilting and washing a block to see what it does.  I look forward to seening what you come up with, you may start a trend.

Kay

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,039 Posts
Points 13,220

I would go to your fabric store and search out a sample that you can touch. You can always contact the shop via email (the online store) and ask the thread count. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:18 PM

Well I ended up ordering it, it was on sale for $5 yard, and it was made by Kaufmann so it should be good quality. I always prewash my fabric, so i will wash it first and see how it behaves. Then I'll decide if it will be used for a pieced background, for an applique background, or not in a quilt.

Thanks all for your input, I'll let you know the results.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Jacy,

Check out Redpepperquilts dot com, posting dated April 16, 2009,  and then  Freshlemonsquilts dot com for a post dated January 13, 2013.  Both show quilts done with linen and linen/cotton mix. 

Prewash the linen or linen mix. It does shrink more than 100% cotton,  But when you wash it, it gets softer and feels so nice. 

Max

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use