Hippy Cowboy Quilt Help!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 115
Kimmi Quilts with Cavaliers posted on Sun, Sep 8 2013 5:51 PM

Hi,   I'm stumped and need some help.  My son (self-proclaimed Redneck) has proposed to his long time girlfriend (self-proclaimed Hippy) and I want to make them a quilt for their bed.  

Does any one have any suggestions on how to combine the two?  I am normally very creative and have no problem coming up with ideas.  I've been working on this for months and have not come up with a single "ah-ha" quilt.

I piece and applique, so I'm open to either technique, he likes blue (no surprise), she loves anything bright.

I'm open for any and all suggestions.  Thanks!

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,379 Posts
Points 24,090

Since you appliqué .....  My thought is to take everything Redneck.... the truck, the boots, the hats, the trailers, the beer cans, (i'm drawing a blank on other Redneck items right now but just google "Redneck" and click on images and you can come up with so many items) .... and appliqué them with a tie-died fabric. You could still use blue and bright colors. If you didn't appliqué, I'd be stumped myself!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 2,535

I would use Batiks they would go well your applique talent.  I would add trees, birds, and of course an old truck and old boots.  There are a lot of bright Batiks.  My daughter is getting married this October.

Good luck,

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,555

I think I would do the cowboy boot pattern and make them  in the guy colors and make hers in the hippie bright flower power etc ones.   You know the songs about taking your boots off!  I'm originally from Texas so I have seen the hippie girls in the dresses with there stylin boots.   Very cute really

MODESTO, CA.
Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,555

Here's just one I saw  just an idea for you! I've always wanted to do these also, can use so many fabrics you can piece it or applique it. Can be mixed with so many other blocks to.  Hope it helps some.  Google cowboy boot quilt images, let us know what you come up with!   By the way I live in California now. Height ashbury has cowboy boots in flower power colors Gris wear with peasant dresses! 

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,398 Posts
Points 45,125

Cute suggestion Marla!

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 115

Great Idea!  I'm in Texas, so finding Texas themed items is a cinch!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,555

Ohhh awesome, they actually have all that fabric that looks like alligator, and snake skin, and ostrich now.   I can't wait to see what you do!  I am excited too!   I'd love to make one with this theme, just have to find a red neck to give it to!  Lol.  Shouldn't be hard since my family lives in Texas and Oklahoma!   I know it will be beautiful no matter what you do!  

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

Marla:
I think I would do the cowboy boot pattern and make them  in the guy colors and make hers in the hippie bright flower power etc ones.

LOVE this idea!!!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

~delete / duplicate

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 8:25 PM

Don't forget the "Peace Sign" you could add it to the top of a boot as well as flowers!

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 115

Thank you ladies for your ideas.  The  kiddos decided on a Feathered Star in bright yellow and a true blue.  Now to find a blue and yellow print with out it looking "French".  I'll hit the quilt show next month in Houston for the fabric.  I'm still thinking about putting a peace sign and a boot on the quilt. I'll post photos as it progresses.  :)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

Kimmi,  looks like we have another Texas gal here. Welcome! I'm from San Antonio area. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,097 Posts
Points 24,700
Agnes replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:22 AM

Kimmi Quilts with Cavaliers:
I'm still thinking about putting a peace sign and a boot on the quilt. I'll post photos as it progresses.  :)

With those large empty corners on the Lone Star you have the perfect spot for some applique. I will love to see the progress as you share.

Love the quilt that was posted.

Top 25 Contributor
5,033 Posts
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 10:09 AM

Kimmi Quilts with Cavaliers:

Thank you ladies for your ideas.  The  kiddos decided on a Feathered Star in bright yellow and a true blue.  Now to find a blue and yellow print with out it looking "French".  I'll hit the quilt show next month in Houston for the fabric.  I'm still thinking about putting a peace sign and a boot on the quilt. I'll post photos as it progresses.  :)

Why not quilt it with the peace sign and boots. It'd be subtle but unmistakable.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use