Top 10 Posters

What could this be? Part of an unfinnished quilt?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo Posted: Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:04 PM

Ready to put my ugly fabric quilt on my frame, I started looking for backing in my stash. Since it is a utility quilt, made to be used and not the top of the bed type, I dug through my stash of muslin. 

Several yards the muslin was from my mother's stash.  I found a piece that was 67" wide x 82" long.. with a 1/4" center seam. The selvedges had been trimmed off. The odd thing was that it had a row of stitching every 3 inches, top to bottom.  Very precise.  Everywhere I measured it was consistent.  The stitching appeared to have been done after it was seamed together. There were no threads from fabric caught anywhere in the seams. Can anyone give me an idea as why or what ???????????????????

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Interesting.  I really have no idea... Maybe it was intended to be a quilt back and the stitching was decorative????

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:16 PM

My first thought was she was making curtains, maybe? For the kitchen. IDK. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,150
Points 15,750
Erin replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:43 PM

Did she have a big table..maybe it was a tablecloth?

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505

Maybe she got frustrated after stitching a whole quilt together only to discover there was never any bobbin thread in the bobbin and did something else with the top??

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 2:25 PM

maybe they were guide lines to quilt on when the quilt was sandwiched.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,023

Sounds like a curtain or a table cover to me too. She may have added the stitching to make it look decorative.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 8:53 PM

Could we see a picture?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:30 PM

I ran it through the washer and ironed it dry.  In the ironing I discovered 2 things.  Some very fine silky threads caught in one of the rows of stitching.  Blue. So apparently it was the backing for something, what I don't know, although the size does indicate a small quilt.  I remember her working on a quilt made of ties and possibly this was her first attempt gone wrong as a foundation.  Or maybe it was for curtains, we did have silky curtains in the front window when I was in grade school.  This might have been the backing to give very thin fabric more stability.  Sorry no picture possible as it is already on the rail of my quilting frame.  I added 30 inches of matching ( except for the stitching) and made it large enough for my quilt.  When I take it off I will try to take a photo, although with the quilting the rows might not show up.  However it will work great as a guide to keep the top square. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use