Top 10 Posters

What is you favorite make and model sewing machine?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225
Linda Gless posted on Tue, Sep 3 2013 3:01 PM

I am looking for a machine that you can actually quilt with - some free motion quilting too. In the market for my first good machine. What make and model number machine do you use and why do you like it for quilting? Any input would be greatly appreciated - as I already see that this will go an investment of several thousand dollars.

Thanks!        Linda Gless

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,053 Posts
Points 65,880
Robin replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:56 PM

I have two Janomes!  I love both of them.   The first one is a MemoryCraft 2000 it was a little workhorse.  I use it now when I need to travel with a machine.  My second is a MemoryCraft 6600.   I sew, piece and quilt on it.   Love the machine.   The only problem I have is finding the time to do all that I want with it.

Robin

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Well - we went to Quilt Expo yesterday and tried out machines from every vendor that was there. Right now I think I am between a Janome and a Baby Loc - but leaning heavier toward the Janome. They have good prices for machines that are used in classes for the 3-day expo - about half the MSRP price and the Janome has a better price. The Baby Loc is really nice but I am not sure I need all the bells and whistles it comes with - such as laser line and the touch pen that stops your machine stitching where you tell it. I fully intend to go back next year and purchase a good machine. It will take saving $8.00 per day all year to get me the money I will need to get one. Gonna get it done!!!!!

Linda Gless

Hartford, WI

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 150 Contributor
Female
602 Posts
Points 9,590
Joyce replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 9:45 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire too with the 11" throat.  I have been learning the machine quilting on it.  The more I use my machine the better I like it.  Wow a 16" I would like to see that also.  I wonder if it will do embroidery also?  

Joyce

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
72 Posts
Points 600

I LOVE my older Pfaff.  The new ones are not worth the asking price, but any of the older machines that were actually made in Germany are work horses.  They have needle up/down - which is so convenient in piecing   or free motion, they have a built in walking foot that is wonderful for piecing and straight line quilting or stitch in the ditch quilting.  They don't cost as much as a new machine and there are some lightly used ones out there.  Check your local craigslist so you can try it before buying. Or get a used one from a local sewing machine shop so you have some recourse if it has a problem.  The 1475 Creative and the 7560 are some of their best machines.

good luck with your search.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 3:07 AM

Linda

Janome makes an excellent machine.   I have the 7700 that I really love.   It just doesn't do embroidery so I upgraded to get a really nice embroidery unit.  I got the best price for what I wanted with Pfaff.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
454 Posts
Points 7,250

Nana:

Linda

Janome makes an excellent machine.   I have the 7700 that I really love.   It just doesn't do embroidery so I upgraded to get a really nice embroidery unit.  I got the best price for what I wanted with Pfaff.

Hi, I think I may have answered this already, but if not.... I had four machines, I got rid of 2 that I just had no use for as I did not ever use them after I bought my first Janome 9000. I love it but it really did not do a ton of embroidery so I waited a few years and got myself a 2nd Janome the MC11000SE. I love it so much it does the quilting and embroidery that I want.  I wont part with either.  I really received great prices on both. I bought mine brand new.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I really like this thread as I am also looking for a machine that I can do my FMQ and embroidery. I've been leaning toward the Husquarvarna Viking. Now just to save my money.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,980

I have two Vikings. My favorite is the sapphire 870 quilter. I love this machine the other is a platinum. I keep it just in case  both are only three years or so od. Just love Vikings.   

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,562 Posts
Points 139,613

I love my Vikings too. I have the Sapphire 870 and a Designer One for embroidery. Wouldn't want to part with the D1 ever, even to trade up, and the 870 I have just for quilting. It does a fine job, although I miss the thread cutter. Spoiled. LOL.  I think most brands make some really great machines. You get used to the sounds of them running and the way they stitch and it's just like a bit of heaven. :0)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:37 PM

I agree Stephanie.  I think most of the brands make good machines.  I shop for a good dealer and service department instead of brand anymore.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,562 Posts
Points 139,613

Nana:
I shop for a good dealer and service department instead of brand anymore.

That's a really great point. I was back and forth with mine the first couple months. It was user error on my part, dumb things like cheap thread, misthreading, etc,but I can't imagine having to send it somewhere to find that out. And pay shipping back and forth.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 340

A good dealer is very important!  I have a friend who just bought a Pfaff Creative Sensation.  When she bought the machine the dealer told her that anytime she needed help that they were "there for her".  Well, the first time she went to them with a problem the owner actually got MAD at her for not showing up without making an appointment first!  She ended up making an appointment and the dealer took all of about 5 minutes to answer ONE question then shooed her out of the store.  She did get free lessons when she first bought the machine, but the treatment she's getting now is deplorable.  I really feel bad for her because she stressed so much about spending that much money on a machine.  A good dealer is worth more than the brand of machine you buy.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170

Find someone that you can call and ask questions over the phone that will speak to you so that you can understand problems and solutions over the phone also. You don't want to have to take it in all the time for small things that can be fixed over the phone. Even with a good dealer, I want to make sure I get close to one or two of the sales techs that I can speak to. Always good to "know " people! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use