Top 10 Posters

What is you favorite make and model sewing machine?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225
Linda Gless posted on Tue, Sep 3 2013 3:01 PM

I am looking for a machine that you can actually quilt with - some free motion quilting too. In the market for my first good machine. What make and model number machine do you use and why do you like it for quilting? Any input would be greatly appreciated - as I already see that this will go an investment of several thousand dollars.

Thanks!        Linda Gless

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 15,645

I also have a Viking Sapphire. I just got her last year, just before I retired in Oct. I use her to quilt the quilt. I use my Singer featherweight (Lucy) to piece the blocks. She doesn't collect as much lint as Sapphire does.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 11:59 PM

gini:

I keep looking on eBay for a used designer 1.  I'm hoping to get one for under $1000.

There's one on ebay tonight for a $595.00 Buy Now price...don't know how old it is and it doesn't look like it comes with the books, hoops, etc.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:00 AM

i have a sapphire, too.   i don't like it as well as the designer 1, because i can't get my fat fingers in to change the needles easily.   it runs well, though.  it's coming out with a 16 inch throat, hmm.   right now i'm watching a designer on ebay.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:01 AM

i was just on there and didn't see it.  i'll go look again. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:08 AM

Search for it this way, "HUSQVARNA (DESIGNER I) SEWING/EMBROIDERY MACHINE/#EJJ".  It didn't come up when I just searched for a Viking Designer 1.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:15 AM

i don't see it, karla.   there's one for 699 and one for 900

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Wow! Certainly a lot to take into consideration. Thanks for all the great input from all of you! Going to Quilt Expo in Madison, WI tomorrow and I am determined to see every sewing machine vendor that is there and try out some of their goods. :-) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 3:36 PM

that's the best way to  find a machine that fits you.    i looked at trade shows for 2 years before i settled on my machine.  

make sure the dealer is close to you, we moved after i bought my machine and i sure wish the dealer was closer

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,664 Posts
Points 37,515

I keep telling DH I want one of each for my sewing machine museum of my dreams.  Its really true though because i definitely found out a stitch regulator would help me with free motion quilting.  Good luck with you decision.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,027 Posts
Points 13,055

I'm a Bernina girl myself. I have an old 830 I wouldn't trade for the world.  I bought the new 830 ($$$) and love it too. My mom also bought the new 830 but recently bought the 830 LE so she gave me the other 830 to put on my Bernina quilt frame. I also have an old Designer 1 by Viking. It's so old it takes the 3.5 floppy. HAHAHA. I rarely use it but it sews nice too. Mom also has two other older Berninas. They are work horses and completely made in Switzerland. If I had to make a second choice it would be Babylock. Very user friendly. Berninas require a little more computer knowledge. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Thanks, Gini! I will be moving within the year, hopefully, if and when our house sells. However I know where we are moving to and I will make sure that there is a dealer for whatever machine I decide on nearby. That is a great thing to consider - thanks! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:04 PM

Maggie,  Are you wanting to sell your designer 1 ?   How many hours does it have on it?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 495

I have a Viking Designer 1 that I really love. It's my 2nd Viking (Mom is using my old 1100), but I am hearing interesting things about a new machine they have coming out. I'm hoping that my husband will agree to a new machine before he retires. I want it to be perfect & top of the line since it will probably be the last machine I ever get!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,342 Posts
Points 46,405
Suggested by Robin

I do love my Sapphire Viking sewing machine. So far it does everything that I want to do by machine. Of course a wider throat would be great. I think that if I looked at other machines it would be a Huskvarna Viking again. Oh ad I have a featherweight for piecing and going to classes.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use