Top 10 Posters

Has anyone made the Garden Quilt by Eleanor Burns?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930
Priscilla Posted: Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:10 PM

Has anyone made the Garden Quilt by Eleanor Burns? I am going to try it. I would love to see pictures of  yours. Thank you.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:41 PM

Are you talking about Grandmother's Garden Quilt? 

If so, here are some pictures of mine... well I believe that Angela has it as I sent it and the Applique in a day quilts to them as gifts after my BF Lori left us for the next world...

I am afraid I only have pictures of all the blocks when they were done on my design wall... this was a really  hard tme for me and i sewed on these 2 quilts for about 5 months almost non-stop - I cried so many tears into these 2 quilts - used the making of them as a form of dealing with her death.  I have pictures of all the individual blocks too - I did the 3D way...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:42 PM

Althea the blocks are very pretty.  Bet the quilt was gorgeous.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:46 PM

I have no idea why I didn't get a picture of the quilt when it was done - it is not like me - but I didn't take finishing pictures of either one... too many tears... the girls love their quilts though and they are used on their beds... i told them if they put them up as treasures I would get upset - and so they use them... Angela says Michael loves looking at the basket quilt and seeing something different each time.  I learned a lot of new things when making it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930

Thea your blocks are so real looking. Just beautiful. Stunning. I am glad I am making one. Wow that's just wow. My jaw is on the floor. I love the 3-D look. It looks like you could pick them. It brings tears to my eyes with the beauty of it. If I could put music to it I would use Für Elise. The tune is sad and beautiful at the same time. I am sorry it was such a sad time for you. Losing  loved ones is always heartbreaking. Thank you for showing your gorgeous blocks. You have excellent color combinations.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:02 PM

Oh no Priscilla now I have visions of Thea's beautiful baskets waltzing around the floor to the music Fur Elise....a tune that I happen to love.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930
Priscilla replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:07 AM

Nana I have so many wonderful memories of that song. My Mother used to play it on the piano. Her life was cut short from ovarian cancer at age 50. I feel lucky to have had her for 27 years. I wish she could be here. She so loved flowers. The flower quilt reminds me of my Mother. It's funny how 23 years later I still get that catch in my throat when I think of her. Fur Elise will always be my favorite song. I  even have it on my ipod. Yep ipod. Can you believe it? I don't own a cell phone but I have an ipod.

We all have  a special memories of our loved ones and my favorite one is. My Mother was very smart. Like genius smart. At age 44 she went to collage. One day she got one question wrong. My Father ask why did you get that wrong Bert. Mothers name was Roberta. My Mother replied. I was too tired to bother with it. That was the "only one" she did not get right. She was an A+ student. She became an accountant. Worked for one year. I have my Mothers skills at being creative with my hands and am like my Father with not being book smart. I still miss her a lot.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:12 AM

Priscilla

I am sorry to hear that you lost your mother when you and she were both young.  I lost my father when when I was 28 and it felt so very unfair.  I still miss him so much.  But the memories sustain me.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:20 AM

Priscilla, You sound like me..teehee.. I have a cell phone but only for a short time to go... we never use it and only got it so my son would have a phone - he had it for 5 months - he was up in Iowa and his phone broke - so like most all from his generation he threw it in the trash - no worries about how much it cost MOM or that I had insurance on it... but then he went and got his own contract... so mine was 1 phone short... but it is up in May - and is not being renewed but cancelled.

I do, however, have an ipod... I don't have music on mine yet as I have tons of CDs for the car where I play music...but my ipod even has some quilt patterns on it...teehee..

I am sorry you lost your Mom at such a young age... our Mother's are alike though as mine is a super genius... she went back to college when she was in her 40s graduated suma *** laude and then went on to teach for 20+ years.  she is now retired but still writing articles to the newspapers which they are non-plussed over and always use her as a source now.  

She has degenerative heart disease and a thyroid condition now that both came on after she turned 70 but she is still kicking at 85 and doing as well as she can.

If you ever have any questions about these blocks just let me know- I might be able to help.  I do have individual pictures of all of them and pretty sure I wrote myself notes in her book.   I do remember that I did buy her fusible pattern stuff too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:03 PM

Priscilla, Nana, Thea,

great stories about your parents. Thanks for sharing. I love classical music and Für Elise is one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano.

My best childhood memories have my grandmothers in them. My father's mother was my "mummy". I still miss her. My mother's mum is still alive but she's in St.Vincent so I don't get to see her as much as i would like.

Thea, you should put all those CDs on the ipod and leave the discs at home. Some of my CDs were stolen out of my car back before I had an ipod and I have not been able to replace them all. I wouldn't have a cell phone if DH didn't insist on it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:09 PM

Kris - what would I do with my 6 disc CD player in my car?  lol - I have the ones I like the most in it and then in the seat well I have some books on CD that I doubt anyone would want to steal but if they want them i will allow them to have them - they are religious books and once they listened to them they would know that the Lord says Do not Steal...teehee...

that does remind me though I need to go out to the car and get my little ring carrier out of it - I put it there when I went out to AZ...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:11 PM

I have a cell phone but only use it for the occasional call.  I do use it to call my oldest DD because we are on the same system and it doesn't cost either of us any minutes...so its kind of like free long distance.  I also opted not to have long distance service on my home phone so that saved money.  And I don't pay for the cell....DD wanted her phone and then added her DH to our contract so she pays the phone bill.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:54 PM

Nana, I wish one of our kids would do that for us - but they feel like we should do that for them...teehee... this contract is up on my cell phone in May and i am cancelling it at that time... jay and i both have decided should we need a cell phone for traveling at that time we will get a track phone that we add minutes to as we need them... at the moment the use on my cell phone is nothing unless I am traveling and that to me is a big waste of my money... when I find a way to put my DSL on a traveling plan I will do that...tee hee...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930

Thea thanks for your help. I did the pansy block first. I don't have any fusible. Does Joann sell it? Walmart? I have never tried it.  I used paper, glue and I hand sewed it on. Looks ok but not near as nice as your 3D blocks. I kick myself for not going with the 3D blocks. Now that I have one made I think I will continue one with the why I started. I used crochet cotton for the middle of the flower. Geesh it was hard to work with. Is there anything that sews better? The crochet cotton is too big or thick. Thread would be too small. I am also wondering if you use a thimble and if you do what kind. I have a couple of old vintage thimbles. They don't fit. My fingers are so big and clumsy I cannot wear them. I have some leather ones and they last for a little then they wear out. They cost me 12 dollars or so and I go through them like crazy.  Is there anything else out there. I am rough. On everything. Has to be tough for me to use it. I would be good for that consumer product company. If it don't pass with me then don't buy it. LOL.....LOL...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:29 PM

Priscilla

The "jelly" thimbles are pretty good and fairly comfortable.  I like the leather the best but my little chihuahua decided my last one would make a good chew toy.  I had only used it for about an hour when he found it in the open sewing box while I was in the restroom.  So irritated.  But I do like the jelly style as well. And yes Joann's does carry the fusible web and if you have a Walmart with a sewing section they usually have it as well.  Also have you tried embroidery floss or perle cotton instead of crochet cotton for the sewing portion.  I usually have better luck with those.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use