Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini Posted: Sun, Sep 1 2013 5:11 PM

Does anyone have input on digitizing photos to use in quilts.   What programs have you used and what do you like about them.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,467
Points 116,715

gini:

Does anyone have input on digitizing photos to use in quilts.   What programs have you used and what do you like about them.

I use Photo Shop Elements to tweak colors and crop photos, clean up scratches or remove background or things I don't want in the picture. But something simple like Paint works fine for enhancing colors and cropping and it's included with all Windows computers.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:01 PM

Also, Gini, Craftsy has a class on that! Wouldn't you know?! I think classes are on sale for the Labor Day weekend, too. .... I'm one of those people who have signed up for more than my share only not to take the time to watch and do them. They catch me wtih their sales. I've stayed away this weekend though! ;-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 361,987
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:20 PM

Gini,

I have the Pfaff 4D Suite (expensive) which has a digitiser for stitching out photos. You can do a cross stitch effect as well. It is a bit complicated and is Windows based so I rarely use it. At the sewing expo I saw the lady there digitise a hand embroidery pattern for the machine to stitch out.

I've heard good things about embird software but can't say anything about it myself. 

Photoshop elements is not a digitiser it is an editor.

The Craftsy class is actually free as it is a mini class but it it not about digitising. It teaches you how to pixelise your photos by sewing together tiny squares. Tammie Bowser has a similar technique with her mosaic quilts.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 361,987
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:33 PM

I forgot EQ Stitch. It is a basic digitiser. I like it because it is simple to use if you're already familiar with EQ software and you can save in many different formats making it compatible with many embroidery machines. One major downside is that you can only digitise the photos that came with the software not the ones you import into it. You can only edit and print outside photos.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 140
Wendy replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 12:02 PM

to clean up any .jpg, bmp, etc.. I go to vectormagic and pay monthly and upload said photo turn it into a vector and save it as EPS then have my digitizing software import the EPS file and it's clean and digitizes almost automatically.  However a picture I'm not sure would work well in vectormagic. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:39 PM

Gini, the Bernina DesignerPlus Version6 Software (also expensive) does a great job of digitizing photos.  I have played with it, but not used it for a project.  But, according to Claudia Dinnell (digitizing teacher I took a 2 day workshop from), it is the easiest to use and does the best job of those currently on the market.  She claims to have tried all the other products and always comes back to the Designer Plus. (She is amazing!)  It also is based on a Windows platform and comes with CorelDraw Essentials4 software built in.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:30 PM

Gini - Are you thinking about digitizing for embroidery? or for printing on fabric?

For Embroidery, I too have 4D - and really love it. It was pricey at the time and now that 5D is out - I expect that it too has a hefty price tag on it. It is (imho) pretty straight forward to use and I have bee pleased with the things that I have digitized.

If you are looking to digitize a picture tp print on fabric - I use GIMP - which I found to be equivalent to the old Photoshop 5 that I had. It is a free download and works great.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:43 PM

You know, eparys, this was for a friend and I'm not sure how she was going to use it.

thanks everyone for your responses.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use