Lighting for a "New" Sewing Room

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,903 Posts
Points 33,105
Roxana posted on Sun, Sep 1 2013 9:43 AM

My DH has given me permission to turn one of our spare bedrooms into a sewing room (as opposed to the small "retreat room off our bedroom that I use now." Anyway, he even told me to call the electrician so I could get the best lighting in there. (Wonderful man my DH is - Course I think he wants to sleep at night without the noise of my sewing, cutting, pressing, and generally moving around in that little space!)

So, I thought this would be the best place to ask what kind of lighting to you all recommend for my room? I get a small bit of the East morning sun but not much. No sun comes directly in the room later in the day. All that is in there now is a small ceiling fan light.

Any suggestions? I need some help!

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I'd put fluorescent banks on the ceiling, and of course plenty of outlets for all your machines and additional Ott-type lamps.  Can't wait to see pictures of your new space!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,903 Posts
Points 33,105

Thanks, Nancy. I have lots of outlets but I'll check and see if he can add more. I think I want to keep the ceiling fan too. What do you think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Hi Roxana - My DH put a shelf over my sewing machine that invaluable to me. Under that shelf he put up tract lighting. They are the little lights that I can adjust right onto my machine. I've tried the little light that attaches to your machine but after going through five of them, I decided they weren't working for me. The tract lighting is great though. He also put up a florecent light right above my cutting table. You can use bulbs that are like daylight. I have a hard time seeing the small things now so to be able to direct the lights right onto my work is great. Hope this helps. I'll try to put a picture up for you to see.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 355
Lynn replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:40 AM

Hi Roxanna, I agree with what Melissa's set up.  The florescent light fixture with the daylight bulbs give the truest colour for your fabrics without having to actually take them out to the daylight.  I use a Ott floor lamp for task lighting as like Melissa my eyes don't look as good as they used to anymore.  Although the cataract surgery has helped tremendously, the Ott lighting/magnifier helped me continue to sew while I was awaiting the surgery.  The task light track over my work/sewing table, ironing table works great...the lights are LED.  Lots of plug ins with power bars help and I only wish I had room for a ceiling fan.  My sewing studio is quite small in comparison to most.

Lynn

Calgary, Alberta

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Points 2,080

Keep the ceiling fan!  I live in AZ, so the ceiling fan over my sewing area is essential.  Every once in awhile a loose pattern page goes flying, but the breeze is appreciated.

stitcheraz

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I agree with stitcheraz. Keep the fan. I had my DH take the fan out and I'm regretting it now. The lights do make it warm. Live and learn.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Melissa Halpain:
The lights do make it warm.

Florescent lights will not throw heat.  Incandescent and/or quartz lighting will.

Still, my body produces plenty of its own heat, so yes, a fan is appreciated!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,467 Posts
Points 41,120
Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 2:21 PM

When DH and DS built my basement sewing room they put can lights in the ceiling and those have movable spotlights in them so I can direct the light where I want it to be.  I have two very large ones over my cutting/sewing table.  I put LED bulbs in the spots to save on energy. Expensive as all get out but it cuts down on the heat produced with so many spots on at the same time and they last a long time.  I also use an Ott light right at my machine.  Have fun with your "new" sewing studio and definitely keep the fan.  And you know we will all want to see pictures when you're finished.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,903 Posts
Points 33,105

Ahhh! The problem with posting a picture is that it may take some time to get set up.

I'm trying to figure out shelving and things like that too. Then, there's this sewing cabinet that we purchased last March, after DH assured me he could put it together and didn't want to watch the online video to see how to put it together. He may be wonderful but he's not a handy man when it comes to these sort of things. It's a 2-person job so I've been waiting patiently.

I may hire a Handyman to help me with the shelving. I may visit The Container Store and see what they offer in their sale (if I can get to it before the sale ends).

So many options. RIght now, my stash is stored in plastic containers by color that just stack on top of each other. ... DH wants me to be able to get to them without having to move the whole stack just to see what is in the bottom container. Good thought. .... Then there are all my notebooks of quilt patterns and embroidery designs..... not to mention quilt books and magazines.

When we started this process I was just excited to have the bigger space. Now I have to make all these decisions. We definitely would not be good candidates for ever building a house if we could! LOL! .... What about pictures in process? Ha!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:15 PM

Roxana

I have a ceiling fan with basic lighting and then lots of different style Ott lights that I can move around as needed.   I have table top as well as floor models.  I have been pleased with this method.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Roxana:

So, I thought this would be the best place to ask what kind of lighting to you all recommend for my room?  All that is in there now is a small ceiling fan light.

Any suggestions? I need some help!

Talk about good timing, the Stella LED lamp is on clearance at quilt in a day, but only until Tuesday. http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/notions_display.asp?i=42886

This light is on my wish list.

Keep the ceiling fan. You need special LED light bulbs if you want to put them in the ceiling fan. They generally don't do well with vibration unless specially rated.

Lucky lucky you.

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 35

Hi Roxana,  I just had my spare room remodeled into my quilting room in April.  My room is on the smaller side (about 8' by 10')and my contractor put in 4 LED ceiling lights.  They are nice and bright, but I still have an OTT light floor lamp by the machine.  The contractor also ran a new electrical circuit and added a couple more outlets to the wall where the sewing machine is at.  He was concerned that I might overload the original circuit if I had the computer, iron, and sewing machine all on at the same time.            Good Luck with your remodel!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565

Hi Roxana - last winter the DH finished an unfinished room for me. I have track lighting all over the ceiling and  a fan. The one light (other than my two Ott Lights) that I can not live without is an IKEA Jansko light ( have three). It is a small LED light on a weighted base with a long goose neck. It is a  great light to add additional light anywhere you need it. I also got some built in shelving - there were some pipes that needed to be boxed in and I got the greatest space out of it. Here are a couple of pics.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,903 Posts
Points 33,105

Thanks, everyone, for your input. If you think of anything else (even if it doesn't pertain to lighting), please post it! .... This is a one time shot for me. The next time I'm sure we'll be fashioning a "golf-club, repair home workshop." Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use